To fix a screwed-up laptop

Jacquesl

Joined Dec 9, 2006
To fix a screwed-up laptop

What happens to a laptop then it’s connected to a 56K dial-up I think it’s internal and the telephone wire it hit by a thunder strike, what will be screw inside the laptop?, the laptop doesn’t want to go on, it’s a push button to power up, I think it’s a p2 or p3 laptop. It’s laying somewhere in a pc shop and I can probably buy the old thing for a cheap price and fix it.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you're lucky, the only failure is in the PCMCIA modem card. Otherwise it's toast. P2 or P3 processors are going to be very slow dogs. Probably not worth the effort.

I just hit the MS update site with a 98 machine & got the message " Thank you for your interest, but Microsoft does not offer updates to Macintosh operating systems". Win 98 is gone for good.

Jacquesl

Joined Dec 9, 2006
But you see the problem is the laptop doesn’t want to go on if you press the on button, I tried it 2 years ago in the shop, I plugged it in and pressed the button repeatedly and nothing happened, and the shop owner said that the telephone line was hit by a lightning strike, but there’s no short circuit in the laptop then you plug it in, I didn’t smell anything weird, so I assume somewhere the power supply might be screwed, but taking the modem out wont fix the problem, I assume it’s a internal modem.

And win 98 are crappy, I love XP more

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
so I assume somewhere the power supply might be screwed, but taking the modem out wont fix the problem, I assume it’s a internal modem.
This would be the line I would go down. Failing that, like beenthere says, its probably toast.

I just hit the MS update site with a 98 machine & got the message " Thank you for your interest, but Microsoft does not offer updates to Macintosh operating systems".
Lol!! Doesn't surprise me! I've just come afoul of OGA over MS updates, but I may make that a new thread.

Dave