timer circuit

spankey666

Joined Nov 30, 2011
I have a metal halide lamp which requires 2-3 minutes to warm up which i use for photo graphic exposure. i am looking for direction for a circuit that will :
1 : turn on the lamp to warm up
2: once a button is pressed, turn off the lamp after a designated time

i am struggling to get my head around this simple task, any recommendations appreciated

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You want to build, or buy?

AC line voltage? (we wouldn't have to ask if you put the country in when you registered)
How many watts is the lamp?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have a metal halide lamp which requires 2-3 minutes to warm up which i use for photo graphic exposure. i am looking for direction for a circuit that will :
1 : turn on the lamp to warm up
2: once a button is pressed, turn off the lamp after a designated time

i am struggling to get my head around this simple task, any recommendations appreciated
So, in operation, you will turn the lamp on, use it when you judge it to have warmed up, and then press a button which turns the lamp off after a cool down period. Correct? Or do you also want a timer to tell you when the lamp has warmed up?

What is lamp voltage?
What is lamp wattage?
What is warm up period?
What is cool down period?
What plug is on the end of the lamp cord?

spankey666

Joined Nov 30, 2011
thanks for the reply,
you've kinda got the situation, i want to turn the lamp on to warm it up, then once i'm happy its hot trigger a timer to turn it off after exactly 120 seconds.
voltage for ballast control is 240v , lamp itself is 600w but manufacturer states the control can draw 10 amps on start up.