timer circuit to trigger relay for 1 sec then immediately after trigger another relay for 1 sec.

Azzaboy18

Joined Jun 4, 2016
Hi :)

I'm after a little help with a design for a timer circuit.

I have a CCTV DVR and it has a relay output so when an alarm event is triggered (in this case the pressing of a button near the front door) it closes the relay contacts for a few seconds. I have an old 90s Nokia phone that I have soldered wire into the up and down buttons of. My plan is to get the phone on to the ringtones menu and wire the buttons to a timer circuit that when triggered from my DVR will simulate pressing the up button once (half a second or so) and then immediately after simulate pressing the down button once. This will have the phone play the ringtone it was just on.

I have it currently working in a way that right now when the relay on the DVR closes it hold the up button and will basically play a random tone however my end goal is to have it play the same tone.

Thanks in advance for any help

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

To clarify. You want the first one second one shot to trigger another one shot for one second when it (the first) times out?

Azzaboy18

Joined Jun 4, 2016
Welcome to AAC!

To clarify. You want the first one second one shot to trigger another one shot for one second when it (the first) times out?
I am wanting to have the "up" button pushed then just after that have the "down" button pushed. Each button press needs to be the same amount of time and it only needs to be enough to move to another menu item so I'm assuming half a second or so on the first one then when that time is up maybe a small half second gap then a half a second or so on the second one.

Thank you

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
sorry i dont have one, i dont know how to make the timing circuit
Then state as clearly as you can what you want. The title and what you later described are different.

The title makes it sound like you need two one second one shots with the first triggering the second immediately after the first times out.

Your later description says you want a delay between the time out and triggering of the second one shot, and the time periods are no longer one second. You want half second and a "small half second" (whatever that means) timings.

In your initial post, you said:
I have it currently working in a way that right now when the relay on the DVR closes it hold the up button and will basically play a random tone however my end goal is to have it play the same tone.
Do you have something wired up?

Azzaboy18

Joined Jun 4, 2016
sorry for the confusion. my end result is to get the phone to receive 1 push of the "up" button and then 1 push of the "down" button. the time between the up button press and the down button press can be one right after the other or one and then a small delay of up to 1 sec then the other.

i am wanting the button press to be long enough for the phone to register the button has been pressed but not long enough for the phone to start scrolling through the menu items, i only want it to go up 1 menu item then back down to the previous menu item. my assumption is that a half second to 1 whole second would be the right amount of time.

i have it currently wired up without any circuit. if you look at my diagram the red wires coming from the phone are currently connected to the DVR where the blue wires are drawn. right now when an alarm event is triggered from the DVR the phone's "up" button is pressed however because the DVR holds the up button for too long it will scroll up a few menu items. so say the phone is currently sitting on tone 10 when the DVR pushes the up button the phone will scroll up to say tone 5 then the phone plays the tone and stops. next time the "alarm event" is triggered the phone will move up to tone 1 and play that.

i am wanting the phone to just play tone 10 so im after a circuit that can get the signal from the DVR (it is a relay closing for about 2 seconds) and when that is triggered to push the "up" button for a short time to make the phone select tone 9 then within 1 second push the down button to make the phone go to tone 10, the phone will then play tone 10 and stop. on the next alarm event it will repeat.

thank you, and sorry for any confusion.