Tim Hunkin: The Secret Life of Components

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If you don't know who Tim Hunkin is, you should. He might be more well known in the UK because of his very popular The Secret Life of Machines series (here).

Tim is a sort of maker and visual artist. He builds very clever machines, including unique arcade games for his two arcades in London, including Novelty Automation. He also builds museum exhibits for places like the Exploratorium in San Franscisco.

Tim's latest thing is a series of self-produced videos on the components he uses in his machines. As he says, "I'm not an expert, I'm just telling you how I use these things in my machines after many years".

The new series, The Secret Life of Components is well worth watching. Very enjoyable and informative, you're sure to learn something.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
If you don't know who Tim Hunkin is, you should. He might be more well known in the UK because of his very popular The Secret Life of Machines series (here).

Tim is a sort of maker and visual artist. He builds very clever machines, including unique arcade games for his two arcades in London, including Novelty Automation. He also builds museum exhibits for places like the Exploratorium in San Franscisco.

Tim's latest thing is a series of self-produced videos on the components he uses in his machines. As he says, "I'm not an expert, I'm just telling you how I use these things in my machines after many years".

The new series, The Secret Life of Components is well worth watching. Very enjoyable and informative, you're sure to learn something.

I should do a series called "The Secret Death of Components" detailing all the ways expensive parts are destroyed on a production line.

https://semiengineering.com/why-chips-die/
500_F_208878673_sAHtyMksOZZE6faq5mdZBDhIibdqauBJ.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12772565@N05/sets/72157604136768179/with/2338386349/

Last edited:

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Tim Hunkin is great, I love his work. If you're ever in London a visit to his gallery at Novelty Automation near Holborn Station is well worth a visit...