These interesting 4-lead components... any ideas as to what they are

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
I was walking around when I stumbled upon these interesting 4-lead components. If anyone knows the name, please let me know. Apparently there are two leads called "arms" and the other two are called "legs". These components usually have almost like a di-electric breakdown where the "skin" breaks down if enough voltage is applied to any two of the four leads. But their voltage rating is apparently lower than that. The resistance drops when more voltage is applied, or sometimes for random reasons. But it can range from 2 Mohms to 100s of ohms if enough current is applied. But 2M to 30k is standard, from what I have heard.

But these large, bulky components only tend to have a capacitance of a few 100 pFs between most of the leads. Unfortunately there is also a high leakage current. But there is more! These strange components generate tiny internal voltages (ac) within themselves. This stops when you drive enough current through the wrong leads though, or due to other conditions. These components, all in all, are very strange. They also can be a source of great interference, despite their low component values and poor electrical characteristics.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
I was just going about my daily life when I found them. I actually found multiple just lying around. And I googled the part number to find the info:). But the name is kind of ambiguous. So what are they called? Do you know?

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They come in different classifications, you need to determine what type you are dealing with, some can be dangerous to your health!
Max.