Thermometer

JohnnyOla

Joined Jul 9, 2021
I’ve got this cool thermometer from my previous work place. I have been wondering since I got it how it works and what parts are in it. Does anyone recognize it? I would like to build one on my own, preferably without disassemble the one I have got.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

JohnnyOla

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It looks like one of the temperature modules that "Maplin Electronics" used to sell. They were not supplied with a schematic and the electronics was a chip on the board encased in resin. Because of this I can't give you a detailed explanation of how it works.
They were supplied with information to use them. They could display temperature in Deg. F and Deg. C and also display the maximum an minimum temperature. They could also be used to drive relays to switch heating or cooling devices on and off to control temperature. I may be able to find some information on how to use it but I don't think it is possible to build a clone of it.
It would be quicker to design and build one yourself using a microcontroller than to reverse engineer the unit you have.

Les.

JohnnyOla

Joined Jul 9, 2021
It looks like one of the temperature modules that "Maplin Electronics" used to sell. They were not supplied with a schematic and the electronics was a chip on the board encased in resin. Because of this I can't give you a detailed explanation of how it works.
They were supplied with information to use them. They could display temperature in Deg. F and Deg. C and also display the maximum an minimum temperature. They could also be used to drive relays to switch heating or cooling devices on and off to control temperature. I may be able to find some information on how to use it but I don't think it is possible to build a clone of it.
It would be quicker to design and build one yourself using a microcontroller than to reverse engineer the unit you have.

Les.
Thanks a lot for the exhaustive reply. I was thinking of something in that line too hence it is so small and compact.
You’re correct that it was used in a server room although it wasn’t connected to any switch off mechanism when I received it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You can certainly use the circuit in Post#3 in conjunction with a microcontroller and display that has an A/D converter.

JohnnyOla

Joined Jul 9, 2021

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
One point about your original temperature module is it does not use a semiconductor junction as the sensing element. It uses a thermistor. Below is the information supplied with the Maplin module.

100721a.jpg

100721c.jpg

100721d.jpg

100721b.jpg

Les.