Thermodynamics/Entropy and Life

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
our high school science teachers are doing society a dis-service by oversimplifying certain topics. Thermodynamics and the disordervs order of entropy is completely predictable and measurable and it is absurd to think that a section of an internal combustion engine could randomly stay cold via statistics is an example of entropy.

Have you ever played snooker (pool)? Notice that if you hit another ball in JUST the right way you can get it to stop completely. Imagine now that ball as a particle within a vessel of gas. Most of the other particles are just whizzing by. As the pressure/temperature goes up, the likelihood of collision increases proportionally. But at THAT specific moment in time, as long as that particle remains nearly motionless, we can confidently state with absolute certainty that the particle is effectively a "cold spot" within the vessel. There is NO question about that. (We could of course debate minutiae such as "how cold is cold" but that is beside the point here.)

particles.gif

See that? Down in the bottom-left-hand corner notice the red ball coming to almost to a stand-still. That particle is "cold" (albeit momentarily).

A better explanation of entropy would be combustion of liquid octane in oxygen.

2 C8H18 + 25 O2 => 18 H2O + 16 CO2

You can see that entropy increases in this case because the liquid becomes gas (essentially converting 25 moles of gas to 34 moles of gas.

While burning one mole of molten sodium metal in a chamber containing 0.5 moles of chlorine (Cl2) yields micro crystals (but still ordered crystals) of sodium chloride. Liquid and gas to an ordered crystalline solid create a yellow-hot flame in the cup of sodium but the result is very low entropy. The size and distribution of the microcrystalline spread inside the chamber are a minute amount of measurable entropy vs the conversion of 3.01 x 10^23 gas molecules converted to a crystalline solids. Note: this reaction can create a surprisingly strong vacuum inside the chamber as it proceeds if the cup of sodium metal is kept above the melting point (120°C) long enough for most sodium and chlorine gas to react out.
You seem to be confusing the heat-entropy of the system with the information-entropy of the by-products. They are indeed influenced by each other, nonetheless they are most definitely are NOT "one and the same" thing.

pin both examples above, statistics has little impact on the measurable disorder/order of entropy.
Well you might want to have a talk with a fellow named Max Planck about that! Because I think he wrote a paper describing how Boltzman's insight into how it was ALL about the statistics which inspired him propose the original Quantum Theory itself! (Remember "s = k log(w)"?)

Well now we know that we can study heat-entropy and information-entropy using the exact same tools.
shannon.jpeg

If we can state one thing with certainty from the "information" perspective, the SAME WILL THUS HOLD TRUE from the heat-entropy perspective. They are identical mathematical structures.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Have you ever played snooker (pool)? Notice that if you hit another ball in JUST the right way you can get it to stop completely. Imagine now that ball as a particle within a vessel of gas. Most of the other particles are just whizzing by. As the pressure/temperature goes up, the likelihood of collision increases proportionally. But at THAT specific moment in time, as long as that particle remains nearly motionless, we can confidently state with absolute certainty that the particle is effectively a "cold spot" within the vessel. There is NO question about that. (We could of course debate minutiae such as "how cold is cold" but that is beside the point here.)

View attachment 260800

See that? Down in the bottom-left-hand corner notice the red ball coming to almost to a stand-still. That particle is "cold" (albeit momentarily).

You seem to be confusing the heat-entropy of the system with the information-entropy of the by-products. They are indeed influenced by each other, nonetheless they are most definitely are NOT "one and the same" thing.

Well you might want to have a talk with a fellow named Max Planck about that! Because I think he wrote a paper describing how Boltzman's insight into how it was ALL about the statistics which inspired him propose the original Quantum Theory itself! (Remember "s = k log(w)"?)

Well now we know that we can study heat-entropy and information-entropy using the exact same tools.
View attachment 260802

If we can state one thing with certainty from the "information" perspective, the SAME WILL THUS HOLD TRUE from the heat-entropy perspective. They are identical mathematical structures.
Let me know when you find a practice example besides a corner of your engine suddenly getting cold. Better yet, let me know when only one corner of your engine suddenly gets cold, I'd love to stop by and take a look.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Let me know when you find a practice example besides a corner of your engine suddenly getting cold. Better yet, let me know when only one corner of your engine suddenly gets cold, I'd love to stop by and take a look.

I specifically stated that the probability of those configurations were extremely unlikely. My point was simply that there is NO preferred INDIVIDUAL microstate. Some configurations are just more likely than others and THAT is why we TEND to see things turn out that way in real-world measurements.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I specifically stated that the probability of those configurations were extremely unlikely. My point was simply that there is NO preferred INDIVIDUAL microstate. Some configurations are just more likely than others and THAT is why we TEND to see things turn out that way in real-world measurements.
Ok

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
related but,

seeing that red ball "stopping"

was there some way of super cooling , using some sort of radio wave / optical "push" to "stop" the partials

As you see, not enough memory of the words to find it by a a search

Any one heard of this sort of thing , any links / magic words please,
would like to read up