Thermistor help please

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What happens if the light bulb is shorted?

3 watt glow plug?
This is a reasonable good paper on:
How to select an NTC Thermistor
The material includes the self heating effect which is what a low fuel indicator depends upon to do what it does. My bike has an actual fuel level gauge so I never have given a low fuel light any thought for a few decades. While other than crummy Christmas tree lights I have never seem an incandescent light bulb short I would assume the remote possibility is figured into the scheme.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Fuse...good answer.
Years ago a few fuses covered a car or truck. I really have no clue how many fuses are in my truck and then to complicate things even more they are in three separate locations and maybe a few I have yet to find. :)

My bike like me is retro being a 92 Harley Electra Glide road bike. The wiring harnesses are as bad as my truck. Really, I mean that, right down to the ECM computer as well as a module for the turn signals. At least the fuse block is only one in one location and no shortage of fuses. I guess a fuse beats replacing a fried harness.

Ron

ocaster

Joined Jun 19, 2023
Hi and thanks for all the replies. I have scoured Google to try to find any info on motorcycle fuel tank temperatures. I would have thought that fuel stored in a non insulated metal tank above a 1000cc winging would get quite hot indeed! Looking at the 68Ω thermistor it would only need a 5° temp rise to drop below the 56Ω light trigger.
I have ordered a 68Ω / 100Ω and 150Ω thermistor to do some tests.
The 150Ω looks like it will trigger the light between 45 and 50° which may give me a better tolerance with hot fuel.
Ceefna
Hi, wondering how your low fuel light tests turned out ceefna.
I had read 1k ntc on the web but thinking that maybe incorrect and 100ohm ntc is more like it from my little tests with a 194 bulb and a adjustable power supply. Wondering how it all turned out for you?