Thermistor blown on power supply, please help.

Bigfillly

Joined Jan 4, 2019
Thanks for the replies,
As this is for my mining rig and was on constantly, do you think when I turned it on and found that it had blown the thermistor, it could have damaged a part of the computer?
Thanks again,
Phil.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thanks for the replies,
As this is for my mining rig and was on constantly, do you think when I turned it on and found that it had blown the thermistor, it could have damaged a part of the computer?
Thanks again,
Phil.
Possibly, but usually a supply failure is restricted to the supply. Of the non-lightning supply failures that I am aware of it was only the supply that had failed. Lightning is a much more powerful issue.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
That is going to be a tough one to diagnose with limited equipment. It would be nice if you had a DBT and thermal imaging. I am sure there are other methods that the guys could tell you on here but there are a lot of parts to look at there. Do you have a model # for that unit? Schematic? Sorry I didn't see the pics because I was on my tablet and it doesn't play nice sometimes with this forum.
Can you provide any numbers off of the chips on the backside of that board? It is possible that they are burnt, a bad recitifer, cap and possibly even an IC can be faulty at this point. Hard to say.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the failed device was, instead, a varister, then it might have saved the rest of the system from destruction. But especially the surge limiting thermisters run hot, and so it may just have been aging that did for it. But trying to diagnose a consumer grade switching power supply is not a fun task, because the primary goal for consumer goods is minimum coast and maximum profit. It is important to understand that, because it affects every aspect of most products.If the computer was over-clocked, then the power supply may even have been working beyong it's label ratings, in which case all bets are off, and any failure mode is possible.