The Value of Certifications

odm4286

Joined Sep 20, 2009
Hello everyone, I'd like to see what types of certifications are worth picking up as I work myself through college. I'm getting a bachelors in EE part time so it will take a while. I've been a technician at one place or another for about 12 years now and I'd really like to get some certifications that would put me in a position to be more involved with design instead of test/product improvement.

I've done a little bit of embedded programming, C with a PIC MCU, and I was thinking about starting with the following cert.
https://cppinstitute.org/cla-c-programming-language-certified-associate

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you were to design a board and write the firmware and could post it on a site like this: that would be something you could take to the bank when conversing with a prospective employer.

odm4286

Joined Sep 20, 2009
Thanks, I have a little bit of "downtime" now that this semester is over and figured why not? Speaking of designing a board, would a simple RTOS be a good demonstration of skill? I'm thinking of doing something incredibly simple with different sensor modules and a "main board" that relays the information to a display of some sort.

Easy enough to do something like that with just interrupts and whatnot, but I feel like an RTOS would be a good learning experience with the benefit of letting me stand out to my current and future employers. Thoughts?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks, I have a little bit of "downtime" now that this semester is over and figured why not? Speaking of designing a board, would a simple RTOS be a good demonstration of skill? I'm thinking of doing something incredibly simple with different sensor modules and a "main board" that relays the information to a display of some sort.

Easy enough to do something like that with just interrupts and whatnot, but I feel like an RTOS would be a good learning experience with the benefit of letting me stand out to my current and future employers. Thoughts?
Sure. Just make sure you document things in great graphic detail. Then distribute it as widely as possible. You could care less if somebody copies it and finds a way to make a fortune. You're doing it for the PR value.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
You mentioned a programming certificate, if you are trying to impress employers with that skill then find an open source project that you are interested in. Then join up and demonstrate enough skill and effort to contribute. Having the word “committer” on your resume is a real winner these days. Worked for me.