The New Cosmos on TV

hexreader

Joined Apr 16, 2011
That youtube discussion is brilliant. Hope you don't mind that I borrowed the link to use on the electrotech forum.

Some of Neil's other clips are less good.

The second link seems to be available only in US. Pity

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The rerun cosmos show is an indictment, embarrassment, and proof of what a miserable failure of main stream science. For almost a hundred yrs. now we have been force fed the science dogma of GRT and QM. GRT tells us that every time a piece of matter anywhere in the universe moves......that action changes length and time everywhere else in the universe. Where did that particle get all that much power. Think about that. With the large masses and high velocities we can see now.....don't you think we could see these changes easily? Oh I forgot....it only happens when we ain't looking. QM.....is a mathematical endeavor that deals with points. They wont even use a line(1 dimension).....no no.... they use a point(0 dimension). We are told this point has mass, spin, charge, angular momentum and a magnetic moment...........and all of this is inherent in the point. I watched the first cosmos about 30 yrs. ago. That's why I called this one a rerun. Cosmos could not tell me what a simple electron is then and they can't tell me now.......WHY? Listening to anyone who professes GRT or QM is like listening to a liberal politician. They actually believe what they are saying. It's frightening, ignorant and arrogant. That's why we don't know what an electron is.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
And yet you use them to type. Embarrassing.

Ever design electronics?
I was a systems engineer and the senior field engineer for an electronics company. At that time we had 52,000, I said 52,000 remote weather stations world wide. I was responsible for the 20,000 or so in this country. Each station was solar powered and linked to my computer via satellite. Each station also had a redundant LOS radio link if sat failed. And if possible a phone line was connected....lots of redundancy. Every five mins all data from all sensors was sent to my desk in D.C. We manufactured all of the boards....sat radio boards...LOS boards...data recorders boards......we built everything. I could calibrate the sensors from my desk. I have to listen to the climate warming screamers and I know the planet has not been warming for 15 yrs. The biggest fraud in history.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Perhaps, but politics are not allowed here. You are entitled to your opinion, but the issue of Global Warming has degenerated to an issue of politics. I or some other moderator will either shut down this thread (and it is not your thread to have shut down) or moderate comments deemed political by our staff.

So you can write code, ever bias a transistor or actually use electrons in a circuit? This site is All About Circuits, the rest is just icing. When practical knowledge is as deep as our current state of the art then the theory isn't too far off. It can always be tweaked, but if it needs a major rewrite it has to take into count the millions (billions?) of practical experiments done every day by people who use it to good purpose.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Only ones that disrupt this site. We are not a democracy, this site is a private entity that is owned.My personal first rule is No Flames, there are plenty of other locations that cater to all tastes. The second rule is about respect, we allow beginners in electronics to ask questions without being heckled. If you have not viewed the ToS ( Terms of Service ) I recommend a read.

People have wandered in with many agenda's, from perpetual motion and over unity (which is not allowed here) to what amounts to junk science. If you want to push a theory that out of the mainstream be prepared to show evidence and/or citations, and argue civilly. Unfortunately, the subject of Global Warming has come up, and keeps coming up, and leads to violations of No Flaming and Respect. If you are interested in the old debates you can do a search.

Just to be clear, we support science, but the main focus here is Electronics.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
So you can write code, ever bias a transistor or actually use electrons in a circuit?

I shouldn't have used the word systems. I am not IT. The only code I ever wrote was 8 bit assembly for an old 6502......for ATARI in the late 70's. And I used to do a little latter logic. But I'm analog all the way. I got my FCC 1st class in 73. I've had a advance ham since 77. I started repairing tube radio and tv in the late 60's. I still prefer my tube transmitters and audio amps. I can't write code anymore......but I know how to move an electron.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
systems is not only IT, there are systems of all kinds, the word just means the way things work together. back in the early 70's I was in a class on systems analysis and design, when it hit me that the same methods I used everyday troubeshooting circuti boards for NCR were used in that class, only the terms were different. designing the flow of forms, is like troubleshooting, do the most important things first then next important, and so on. I got my first class liscense back in 67, started tech school with my second and a technitian class ham liscense. and for code, I passed my extra with the 20 wpm code back in 95.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
That Mechanical Universe is beautiful.

No dressing up of the physics. Just tells it as it is.

I find that (most?) modern day programs are obsessed with fancy graphics and 'street-cred', detracting from what is really important.

Thank you. The last episode was especially good.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Now that it's finished, I have to say I was a bit let down by the new Cosmos series. Some of the most moving moments were quotes of Sagan from the original! Certainly I would recommend the series compared to the other dreck on TV. A strong and unapologetic case for science was clearly presented, along with some great experiments through history. But I was bored by all the CG graphics that wren't directed at helping explain a topic, and maybe even confused them. Cruising through fake space in a fake spaceship? Yawn.

Oddly this use of eye-candy was worse early on in the series and diminished in later episodes. Did they think it would capture our attention for the later episodes? It almost did the opposite for me. Or did they just run out of funds for CG near the end? I was also non-plussed when the series devolved into heavy-handed political persuasion. Did Sagan do that? It's been too long for me to recall. Maybe I was too young then to realize I was being manipulated.

A great series with some notable defects.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Exposing a scientific fraud is not necessarily politics, just because the perpetrators (or opponents) might have political or economic motivations. There's plenty to talk about that is purely in the scientific realm.
This is what happens when things are taken out of context. The Global Warming debate is what was being nixed, unfortunately it has fallen to the level of politics on this site, with the arguments being back and forth with opinions replacing facts. We can't seem to discuss it on AAC without the discussion degenerating, so we don't discuss it here anymore.

Opinion is not fact, and facts can be twisted to suit an agenda.

A quick search on this site will show what I am talking about.

Just remember, I have a job to do here. I can not please everyone, and won't even try.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Fair enough. Wasn't aware of the GW prior history here. It was a major topic in the Cosmos series, so sort of on topic, but I fully get your point.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I don't want to restart the GW thing, but I watched about 40 mins of one episode of Cosmos and then changed the channel.

There was a lot of spouting of GW theory like it was absolute fact, including some rather improbable future projections.

I think if something is a modern fashionable theory a credible scientific show should explain "this is the fashionable theory at this point in time" and disclaimers "IF this theory is right, then we project this result in X years".

But there was none of that credible scepticism that I expect from real science, it was more like spouting dogma from a pulpit.

Most disappointed. :(

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
and what does a series on the cosmos have to do with gw? will gw affect other star systems or galaxies? how about more info on cosmological science and facts, and less current politically correct stuff?