The Miller Effect

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Bah. We learned this in either the sophomore or junior year at E.E. school. Doesn't even use any calculus, cake and pie.

If you want to do something useful consider the Miller cacpacitor from gate to drain on a MOSFET inverter circuit, such as found in your typical switching power supply.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
It's one thing to analyze it after the fact....quite another to discover it in the first place! :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Bah. We learned this in either the sophomore or junior year at E.E. school. Doesn't even use any calculus, cake and pie.

If you want to do something useful consider the Miller cacpacitor from gate to drain on a MOSFET inverter circuit, such as found in your typical switching power supply.
This is the original paper describing the Miller effect (by Miller - in 1920). How can you dismiss it?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
This is the original paper describing the Miller effect (by Miller - in 1920). How can you dismiss it?
The original paper describing the Miller effect is reference [1] of this linked document. As an original document cannot refer to itself (as it does not yet exist) this cannot be the original paper describing the miller effect. it Besides, offers no proof of the conclusions, it merely states them.

Such poor information is too common when Wikipedia is the only source.

Besides, any engineer who is known to stay past 7 or 8 PM on a particularly stubborn problem has an entire suitcase of original findings that unfortunately are not the first time the discovery was made. I sure have a few, most notably my junior year when I noted an exponential amplifier in a library reference book I has designed the previous semestor.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
The original paper describing the Miller effect is reference [1] of this linked document. As an original document cannot refer to itself (as it does not yet exist) this cannot be the original paper describing the miller effect. it Besides, offers no proof of the conclusions, it merely states them.
Scroll down past page 2 of the linked document and you will find Miller's original paper attached.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The most amazing prediction to me in electronics (or electrical behavior) was Maxwell's Equations from around 1861. By consolidating the known equations of electrical and magnetic fields into a series of unified equations he was not only able to predict the existence of the electromagnetic radio wave some twenty years before they were finally generated and detected, but he also predicted their speed from the known values for the electric and magnetic permeability of space. Since this calculated speed was near the then measured speed of light he also concluded that light must be an electromagnetic wave. Don't see how you can beat those as remarkable predictions strictly from the mathematics without knowing that such a phenomenon even existed.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012

I learned how an Otto Cycle Internal Combustion engine worked when I was 12 years old,& helped to assemble a car engine when I was 14.
Does that mean I could reproduce the experimental work & Mathematical analysis done by Mr Otto?

The Miller capacitance of a MosFet operates in exactly the same way as that on a Vacuum tube,or a BJT.

By the way,some respect would be nice,Eric was dealing with Miller Effect when you were but a glint in your father's eye!:)