The Crisis of Pseudoscience, by John F. Clauser

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
I get it:



I took this statement in a different positive way: Make everyone middle class by promoting conditions that result in such.

The alternative obviously is to "spread the wealth around" ("by edict" is implied).

Yes, the latter concept would not achieve the self-limiting population count.
Right.

The former concept would require some level of social intervention too though. Free (voluntary) education at minimum. Free (mandatory) education otherwise. And someone is bound to take exception to the "brainwashing, pushing of agenda" in either case (and not be totally off base about it either).
 

Thread Starter

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
6,459
Right.

The former concept would require some level of social intervention too though. Free (voluntary) education at minimum. Free (mandatory) education otherwise. And someone is bound to take exception to the "brainwashing, pushing of agenda" in either case (and not be totally off base about it either).
Honest question: How many Americans actually use *most* of the free education* they are provided?

*Disclaimer: I am talking about the "classical" education one would need to progress educationally beyond primary/secondary school. I am not speaking of vocational -- very little of which is taught anymore in public school -- that would allow for a high-paying job in the trades upon high school graduation.
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
Honest question: How many Americans actually use *most* of the free education* they are provided?

*Disclaimer: I am talking about the "classical" education one would need to progress educationally beyond primary/secondary school. I am not speaking of vocational -- very little of which is taught anymore in public school -- that would allow for a high-paying job in the trades upon high school graduation.
I don't know. You have some insight on it?
 

Thread Starter

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
6,459
I don't know. You have some insight on it?
Just anecdotal: seems to me most tax money earmarked for public education is pretty much wasted.

I can dig up some stats, but not today. I'm just now heading up to Cocoa Beach to watch the Falcon Heavy launch tonight.
 

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
9,237
This entire thread (well, much of it) reminds me of a quote Heinlien wrote for Lazarus Long in “Time Enough for Love”… “Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig." It often is (incorrectly) attributed to Mark Twain.
 

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
6,875
This entire thread (well, much of it) reminds me of a quote Heinlien wrote for Lazarus Long in “Time Enough for Love”… “Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig." It often is (incorrectly) attributed to Mark Twain.
It reminds me of that book for other reasons (exponential population growth) and unfathomable numbers.

EDIT:
Having just listened to this book I remember this quote or a variation of it being said more than once. I don't remember the other variant but it was something like "don't wrestle with a pig. All that happens is you both get covered in shit and the pig likes it."
 
Last edited:
Top