texas instruments ti-92 problem

neospam

Joined Jan 13, 2020
I have and old ti-92 that worked fine, have not started it in a few years. I decided to put some new batteries in it and nothing. Screen seems blueish. I changed the cmos battery (tested 2.8 should been ok) and that did not help. Sure I lost my OS. Have not really dug for service manuals, wondering if anyone has had any similar issues or knows sources..
Out of all my old calculators, this one decided not to turn back on :(

The screen does turn more blueish when you turn it on, but nothing is present. Just dark blue screen. The brightness levels do nothing.

neospam

Joined Jan 13, 2020
Looks like it is a contrast thing, was able to get it to work. I guess you need really hold down the buttons for a long time. Got it to reappear… So all good.. and have a OS :)

neospam

Joined Jan 13, 2020
I wonder if the screen gets dimmer with age? I believe it is a LCD? does not look the same.
I am the original owner, its been a few years though.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I wonder if the screen gets dimmer with age?
There's not much to LCDs. There are two electrode pattern the liquid crystal particles are between than. An electric field is generated to polarize the particles. Unless the LCD is physically broken, problems are more likely to develop in the driving electronics or connections.

neospam

Joined Jan 13, 2020
There's not much to LCDs. There are two electrode pattern the liquid crystal particles are between than. An electric field is generated to polarize the particles. Unless the LCD is physically broken, problems are more likely to develop in the driving electronics or connections.
thanks.. the screen does not seem as sharp or brilliant. Maybe it is just because I have not looked at it in a few years.