taxi ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
In your guys opinion i.e the ones that use taxi's alot thru there life
Which is better flat rates or pay per meter rates when traveling.

Both for long distance or short local distances.

Also is private better then public taxi services in general ?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Here's how taxis work here at Greece:

You pay a std amount at the start of the tariff, about 1.20euros and then the counter ticks, both by time and by distance. In Athens, for a 15 minute distance you pay a typical 10euros. Double that after 12 o'clock.
Taxis are a popular means of transport in Athens. I use them on night outs when I return after the subway has closed.

Only in rural areas are tariffs fixed, and they don't really hold their value.

There are no public taxi services in Greece, all companies are of private interests.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
It's going to depend on the country or even the city. The question is almost impossible to answer.

Most jurisdictions require licensing of taxis. Some jurisdictions tolerate illegal jitney or gypsy taxis. Unless there are no other options or unless you know the driver, it is always best to stick with legal cabs.

I have never heard of a "public taxi service" (one run by the state), any where I have traveled.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Really I thought most taxi services are run by the state or town.
And that is what I define by public services. (I.E the yellow cabs ...etc)

The private ones I define as more the limos services , and car services owned by a particular person or entity... sort of like a private day care services... like a person that gets licensed to take care for kids at their particular house ,...etc

I am only wondering about taxi services first in the US and Canada.

Later I want to know the rest.

I have to say georacer that was cool info about the international taxi over in greece.

Another thing is what particular taxi services in the US would you say is the all around best interms of prices , comfortablity , on time , nice drivers ,...etc

would it be the Yellow cabs :)

And another thing I guess this maybe different in different places but is usually the flat rates better or the pay per meter rates. (on average ) I know this question is very general
But then again thats my point

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Really I thought most taxi services are run by the state or town.
And that is what I define by public services. (I.E the yellow cabs ...etc)
You thought wrong. At least for the US. They are all private companies. Regulated by government yes but still private companies.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
How is regulated by the goverment private :)
Open your eyes the world is ***** I am not lol :)

But forget all that, how about the rates though fix/flat or per meter ? normally

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hmmm, electric companies (especially nuclear), hair stylists, building contractors, restaurants, to name a few. Many types of businesses must get a license and are regulated by the government for the public safety. Taxis are but a subset of a long list. Even a lot of buss companies fall under this description, though there are examples of municipal public transportation, which is what you are getting confused with.

Open your eyes the world is ***** I am not lol :)

But forget all that, how about the rates though fix/flat or per meter ? normally

Interesting edit there, don't do it again.

You have the answer though, it depends. There are no set standards.

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Yes , your right about the names of things.
But weather it would be better if the government didn't step in and regulate it would be debateable. I thing the majority of the time the government is just requiring people to get a licensin that validates there level of proffesionalizm to some extent.
Though in some case the government butts in to much.

Yes I get you private = owned by the people + government rules to protect the people

And of course there is always under the table jobs going on :)
which is good to some extent to.

And I have to say most of the time the government is protecting the people so most of the time I think they should regulate. But not always :)
Transportation yes though

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Which government? You are talking city in this case, but in the others I mentioned it is state or federal. I think of homeowners associations as a form of government. Wishing governments won't get involved is like wishing for a million dollars. It could happen, but it isn't likely.

Without knowing the history I suspect there are some valid reasons for the regulation, though some of the examples applied to taxis are pretty egregious, such as requiring new taxis when there is nothing wrong with the old ones. It is extremely easy to take advantage of out of towners or tourists, for example.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
all I say is taxi in Jamaica - try it.

Never been to Jamaica but I have ridden in taxis on islands all over the Caribbean. If they are anything like those islands then you need nerves of steel to ride in one. But to drive you need to be half crazy.

Also the cabs in PR and Cozumel are usually uniquely decorated inside. Lots of fun to ride those cabs.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Never been to Jamaica but I have ridden in taxis on islands all over the Caribbean. If they are anything like those islands then you need nerves of steel to ride in one. But to drive you need to be half crazy.

Also the cabs in PR and Cozumel are usually uniquely decorated inside. Lots of fun to ride those cabs.
sounds about right. Here goes nothing...

"we stayed in an all inclusive for the first time. Not my choice, but it was the only way to get a vacation price-wise. We is me and my mom. First morning there I suggested getting out of the resort as I was starting to panic amongst the "regulars". We got out onto the street and I had a bright idea of asking some people standing at a bus stop bout the best way to see Jamaica. One lady said that since we are from the resort, we should talk to the resort reps., but a nice young rasta guy started asking me if I wanted to see something... I said yes, my mom was scared, we got shoved into the illegal taxi with many other people sitting sideways and our tour-guide was showing us on fingers how much to pay for the ride at the end. The people were talking in patois, when we were stopping at the hospital, the discussion turned out to be about murdering people to sell their organs... "

It was our best day there. Just ask the locals what the typical fare is for your destination, do not behave like a jerk. We had a great day, got free fruit and came back happy.

Attachments

To obtain a permit to drive one of London's famous "Black Cabs", cabbies there undergo one of the most gruelling city geography tests on Earth. First, they spend months riding about the metropolis on mopeds, memorizing ever street and route until they are ready to be tested to ascertain their mastery of "The Knowledge"- a truly daunting examination that is failed multiple times by most who take it.

I have always been impressed by the rigorous standards London cabbies need to meet to get hired, especially when I recall my days as a struggling college student in Southern California, when one Summer I foolishly took a taxi cab diver job with a small outfit near LAX, even though I had at best a vague grasp of Los Angeles' layout. I was hired simply because I owned a valid driving license, but quit that gig in short order, after getting lost with fares in the back more times than I care to recall.

Anyway, not long ago, I had reason to take a privately owned minicab in London, and it was driven by an Afghani man whose command of the English language was really poor. Forgetting that drivers of those minicabs are exempt from the requirement that they master "The Knowledge", as do their counterparts who drive the standard London Black Cabs, I asked the Afghan driver how many times he flunked the geography test before he earned his cab-driving permit.

The Afghan laughed, and he pointed to the GPS unit on his dashboard. " I no need Knowledge. All knowledge inside GPS. Only come to London last year. Take you anywhere in town. No problem ha ha ha."

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Probably the only job that has a more rigorous test is a Chesapeake Bay pilot . They have to chart the whole bay by memory to pass the test. Not an easy job.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I think the rules for being a taxidriver will be different from country to country.

In Amsterdam where I live, a taxidriver must take an exam to get a licence.
This licence must be viewable from outside of the taxi.
Also the rates for the transport must be viewable from the outside of the taxi itself.

Bertus

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Taxis are everywhere in tourist jamaica and they all speak bad english. When you get off the plane or boat you'll litterally be hounded by 15-30 cabbies wanting to drive you around. Its crazy. But becareful Jamaica has its tourist zones and wild zones that are straight up hoods. Most cabbies will tell you where you can go. If your going for their national product their are tours and other stuff the backwoods people run where they take you in the country and show you their facilities and samples. But this is usually expensive and has to be arranged.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Taxis are everywhere in tourist jamaica and they all speak bad english. When you get off the plane or boat you'll litterally be hounded by 15-30 cabbies wanting to drive you around. Its crazy. But becareful Jamaica has its tourist zones and wild zones that are straight up hoods. Most cabbies will tell you where you can go. If your going for their national product their are tours and other stuff the backwoods people run where they take you in the country and show you their facilities and samples. But this is usually expensive and has to be arranged.
Let us get off this aspect of the subject, it is not a welcome topic on AAC.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hello,

I think the rules for being a taxidriver will be different from country to country.

In Amsterdam where I live, a taxidriver must take an exam to get a licence.
This licence must be viewable from outside of the taxi.
Also the rates for the transport must be viewable from the outside of the taxi itself.

Bertus
Same in Canada. One requires a specific class of license. Taxis are all run by private industry. The government may utiliize those services for social or government programs.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M General Electronics Chat 7
Matty Brindle Homework Help 1