"TAP TO CLICK" question (Win 7) "Does anyone know • • • ?"

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
At work many people share computers. Let me explain: There are two shifts using the same computer work station. Then there are five benches at each assembly line, six assembly lines for a total of 30 computer stations. That means 60 people who want to set up the computer the way they like. I get that. I'd do the same.

Here's the issue: Last night someone used the computer where I had been sitting for a few days. This morning something was changed in the computer. I don't know WHAT they did. We have a Logitech keyboard with a touch pad for a mouse. There are two hard buttons beneath the pad, but you can also tap the pad to select whatever the mouse pointer is on. Looking away from the work to gaze at the keyboard is troublesome as it takes your attention away from hot parts. Someone disabled the "Tap To Click" feature and I find it quite inconvenient to have to look down to find the buttons. Does anyone know how to turn "Tap To Click" ON? Or OFF? I figure if you can tell me how to turn it off I can probably figure out how to turn it back on.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Generally speaking there is usually a custom application (provided by manufacturer) that augments Windows native support for keyboard/touch pad. On Win7 I would go to Devices and Printers, there I would right click on keyboard (or mouse) and select Keyboard Settings.

Alternatively. You could see if there is a tray icon associated with the keyboard/touch pad. If there is one, open it up and see what options are there.

On a side note. I actually love tap to click. Going back to iBook G3 (does not have tap to click) is a pain in the a$$. Probably why I almost never use it. (and it is old)

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Not having the same setup, I can’t tell you how to change that property.

But, I’d look for mouse properties or pad properties in Settings.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
man, I hate touch pads. I'd just carry a wireless usb mouse with me to use.
As far as turning the tap to click back on you just need to go into the properties of the application for it its should be simple enough to find.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Been all through the properties. In "Mouse" I only find settings for clicking, speed, button setup but no tap to click. In "Keyboard" I've found pretty much the same basic stuff. Since the keyboard is Logitech I thought I could find something on their website but have been unsuccessful so far. When I use the help button I find all kinds of complaints from people wanting to turn it off but in the answers they've received I've found no useful info. Some of the info is quite similar to what you've already said. I'm coming up blank on this one so far. I was hoping someone here knew something about it. Seems there's a lot of talent here, so I gave it a shot.

Tap to click is useful because the keyboard stores underneath the drawer, out of the way. I can slide it out slightly (one end) and navigate using the touch pad. Tapping without having to look down at the keyboard is useful, but to have to hunt for the buttons is bothersome. Some have complained about the sensitivity, but I hear there's a way to change that as well.

My MacBook Pro has the touch pad. I prefer the mouse when available, but when the mouse is away recharging I can just press down on the pad and it clicks. If I want a right click I just hold the option key and I get all the features right clicking would bring. I also like the zoom features, scroll two fingers to either side and you can go back a page or forward again instead of the back arrows at the top left. So I am not unhappy with the touch pad feature. I just wish I could figure out how to turnout back on.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
Have you investigated the keyboard itself to see if there's a function button for on and off of pad?

The application that controls the touchpad on the computer you can probably find by checking the startup programs in msconfig

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Contact IT. Sounds like safety and/or product quality may be affected. A workplace should have qualified personnel to keep equipment functioning properly.

Berzerker

Joined Jul 29, 2018

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I've looked for all those features to no avail. Even tried clicking things at random, things I didn't know what they did. Had no luck. However, today - the feature is back on. I'll try to figure it out another day. Thanks all for the help. For now it's no longer an issue.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Have you investigated the keyboard itself to see if there's a function button for on and off of pad?

The application that controls the touchpad on the computer you can probably find by checking the startup programs in msconfig
The problem with secondary functionality (my acer laptop has enable/disable touchpad key combo like narkeleptk is talking about) is that OP said that touchpad and its two click buttons are working fine. Meaning the touchpad was not disabled. Only one feature of the touch pad has been disabled. I would think such feature would be a check box somewhere in touchpad utility program.

OP. Here is something a little crazy. Check the Win7 features for people with disabilities. It is long shot, but some of those are quiet interesting and most people completely ignore them. The whole touchpad hardware was rolled out in Win Xp days, so Win7 should have a lot of native support for touchpads.

Last thing. You might as well tell us what model keyboard you have. I still think there is keyboard utility running in the tray and you just need to find it.