Tales from the grill...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Love crayfish. They are rare in New England. I was introduced to them down South. A new restaurant just opened up that had them on the menu and I’ve had them several times.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I remember catching them as a kid in the UK rivers, we would use an old mesh fire guard and get a fish head from the fishmonger and tie it on, the rivers were so clear then that you could see them all piling onto the guard ready to be heaved up. :D
Max.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I remember catching them as a kid in the UK rivers, we would use an old mesh fire guard and get a fish head from the fishmonger and tie it on, the rivers were so clear then that you could see them all piling onto the guard ready to be heaved up. :D
Max.
Here is similar people will be fishing and go in to and around the bank area or near the docks. Eat a Bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken, throw a couple bones in a wire basket, if you didn’t catch any fish that day you still go home with a bucket full of Crayfish.

kv

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
There are lots of crayfish in the lakes here, but nobody seems to be aware or even eat them, they generaly are used as Jack fish bait.
That's about all they're good for in my opinion. They barely taste "ok," they're a pain in the neck to eat, and they're absolutely unappealing to look at. They do not speak to any intuition of mine that identifies them as food. They're vermin. Aquatic Cockroaches. No thank you. But, the wife loves them so I have no problem buying them. I get them from a Mexican restaurant which has better options for me.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
That's about all they're good for in my opinion. They barely taste "ok," they're a pain in the neck to eat, and they're absolutely unappealing to look at. They do not speak to any intuition of mine that identifies them as food. They're vermin. Aquatic Cockroaches. No thank you. But, the wife loves them so I have no problem buying them. I get them from a Mexican restaurant which has better options for me.
When you go back to that restaurant, ask them about ixcamoles ... they're known as the "Mexican Caviar"

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
they're absolutely unappealing to look at.
That reminds me of some here who go fishing in the Red River where Catfish and one that is uglier, the Maria, AKA Burbot, is caught, people discard them as 'garbage fish' because they are bottom feeders, much like Crayfish.
But in the evening, they will go to restraunt and spring big $$$ for Lobster ! :rolleyes: .
Max.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
That reminds me of some here who go fishing in the Red River where Catfish and one that is uglier, the Maria, or AKA Burbot, is caught, people discard them as 'garbage fish' because they are bottom feeders, much like Crayfish.
But in the evening, they will go to restraunt and spring big $$$ for Lobster ! :rolleyes: .
Max.
I find lobster unappealing as well. Just a giant saltwater crawfish. They do taste slightly better, I would eat them if they were given to me, but they are not worth paying for.

I will eat unappealing food if it's good. Catfish, for example, is delicious (when cleaned properly, otherwise it tastes like mud). As well as flounder. When I see flounder and think about eating it, it seems like something that should be known to the state of California to cause birth defects. But, so yummy, so I suppress those thoughts.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I find lobster unappealing as well. Just a giant saltwater crawfish. They do taste slightly better, I would eat them if they were given to me, but they are not worth paying for.

I will eat unappealing food if it's good. Catfish, for example, is delicious (when cleaned properly, otherwise it tastes like mud). As well as flounder. When I see flounder and think about eating it, it seems like something that should be known to the state of California to cause birth defects. But, so yummy, so I suppress those thoughts.
At least you will try the food if it's offered to you (from a trusty acquaintance, of course) ... I'll never understand people with childish traumas that won't adventure into trying something outside their usual routines.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
At least you will try the food if it's offered to you (from a trusty acquaintance, of course) ... I'll never understand people with childish traumas that won't adventure into trying something outside their usual routines.
Yeah that is really frustrating. Childish, that is the best description. My youngest daughter will look at something she's never eaten (ex: spaghetti, tacos) and say "I don't like it!" Not that spaghetti and tacos are exotic or uncommon, we eat them all the time, and by "we" I mean the whole family except her. I give the choice of the meal we're all eating, or crackers. She chooses crackers. It's maddening.

My oldest was that way too. She grew out of it, mostly. Poor girl, I feel bad. She was and is, the guinea pig for the majority of my continually evolving parenting techniques (I would say continually improving, but I'm not convinced of that). It was this very thing -unwillingness to try food- that taught me a valuable lesson about choosing one's battles. I remember it like it was yesterday, a plate of food on the floor, her crying, my thumb covered in slobbery green beans, my instant crushing regret... you cannot force someone to eat something that they consider vile. Whether it's actually vile, or just in your head, if it's vile to you, it's impossible to eat. It simply will not go down, even with a thumb behind it. Since then, the policy has been "the food in front of you, crackers, or nothing." We go through a lot of crackers.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As a kid, I had a phobia about eating anything on a plate that resembled an animal, if it was disguised, i.e sausages etc, I was OK, but my grandparents were very old country, and I think my grandfather was a 'professional' poacher.
So I was exposed to chitlins (you don't want to smell them soaking) , freshly snared and skinned rabbit & hare and other game.
There was one thing I liked that was meaty about the size of a golf ball, called faggots, and tasted not bad.
I later found out it was made from the part of the animal, usually pig, that was discarded by the butcher!
Ground up with spices and made into meaty orbs! o_O
Max.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
As a kid, I had a phobia about eating anything on a plate that resembled an animal, if it was disguised, i.e sausages etc, I was OK, but my grandparents were very old country, and I think my grandfather was a 'professional' poacher.
So I was exposed to chitlins (you don't want to smell them soaking) , freshly snared and skinned rabbit & hare and other game.
There was one thing I liked that was meaty about the size of a golf ball, called faggots, and tasted not bad.
I later found out it was made from the part of the animal, usually pig, that was discarded by the butcher!
Ground up with spices and made into meaty orbs! o_O
Max.
I was horrified when I learned what the "giblets" were in my aunt's giblet gravy. I didn't eat it for several Thanksgivings in a row. Eventually I got to a place in my mind where I could eat it again without thinking about what it is. It is delicious, but still doesn't taste as good as it did before I knew.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
.. you cannot force someone to eat something that they consider vile. Whether it's actually vile, or just in your head, if it's vile to you, it's impossible to eat. It simply will not go down, even with a thumb behind it. Since then, the policy has been "the food in front of you,
Funny you should say that, being of British origin, I was raised accustomed to eating Marmite spread on toast.
I have offered it to a few Canadians here and some just won't try it, they somehow have this pre-conception based on the look of it, or?? !
They don't know what they are missing! :D
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

I’m from New England and wouldn’t eat lobster not from the region. There’s even a difference between Massachusetts and Maine lobster. Lobster here is tender and sweet. And the chefs know how to cook it. There’s nothing better than a 1-1/2 pounder with steamed corn on the cob and a side of steamers.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-shrimp-called-cockroach-of-the-sea

Shrimp eat a variety of things. I once found a car license plate in one (not really). Depending on their age and location, they feed on algae, zooplankton, small marine worms, decaying weed, anything that they come across that is edible and able to fit into their mouths.

I once spent several days trying to key out a marine worm species (small sections of) that I found in almost every shrimp stomach. it finally dawned on me (even after visiting marine worm experts) that it wasn't marine worms at all, but their own (or neighbors) antennae they were snacking on.
Lobster is just a larger version with claws and forage much farther I would think, thats as much as I know. I’m more of a fresh or sea water fish kinda guy, would like to live closer to the ocean and have the best of both worlds. Lobster, Shrimp, Crustaceans, Fish, the rest not to fond of.

kv

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The four food groups are Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn and Syrup...

No wait, that’s Elf’s four.

Our four is Dairy, Vegetables, Meat and Grains. Living on the New England coast. there are five. You have to add seafood!

Haddock, cod, scrod, oysters (plucked from the ocean that morning), clams, quahogs, mussels, lobster,... Yummy

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I never understood that. Twenty years of my career was spent living globally and the best part was the food experiences. I grew up on Long Island NY and growing up LI if it came out of the water you ate it. Neighbors were always bring home fish and other sea food and mom knew how to make meals out of anything from the local seafood. Trying new food is as you say, an adventure.

Ron

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
I’m from New England and wouldn’t eat lobster not from the region.
If you haven't tried Caribbean lobster (Panulirus argus), I'd highly recommend it. I've lived in Mass. and eaten a lot of the local lobster (Homarus americanus), but I much prefer the clawless Florida spiny, as we call it in Miami. Grilled, baked, or broiled, so long as it's fresh you can't go wrong. My list of favorite meals has stone crab at the top, followed by Florida spiny lobster. Next time you're in South Florida or the Bahamas, give the local lobster a try.

I will say that you guys have better oysters up there.