Tales from the grill...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Grilled Pineapple Stuffed Empanadas, Injected With Rum and Spiked With Lemon

Here's another extremely simple dessert you can fix when everyone thinks they've had enough and can't eat anymore (yeah... right Emoji Smiley-06.png)

00.JPG

Get the following ingredients at your local store (and pharmacy):
  • Dark Rum (I don't like the taste of clear rum one bit)
  • Pineapple empanadas (if anyone here's interested, I can later show you how to make them from scratch)
  • Syringe
  • Lemon

Place the empanada on the grill, when the coal dying and is white-hot.

01.JPG

Turn it around when you notice it's beginning to toast (don't burn it!)

02.JPG

Generously inject it with dark rum in several spots (I use one syringe of 5 mL per empanada). This injection should be done after they've been warmed up, otherwise the rum will lose its flavor if you inject it before placing it on the grill.

03.JPG

Squeeze a few drops of lemon on top of the empanada (don't overdo it!) and cut it into finger-friendly slices.

05.JPG

Pass the plate around to your guests and enjoy!

A variation: You could use pumpkin empanadas instead, and inject them with red wine (preferably a Cabernet). I've done those too and they're absolutely delicious... and yes, a few drops of lemon are also required.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Now here is something I never thought about grilling.
We'er on vacation and my daughter had a pizza party for my grandkids, 6 and 7 years old.
Homemade crust, which I need to get the recipiet for a little olive oil, marina sauce, your favorite chesse and toppings.
Grill one side - only a couple of minutes, add the toppings and grill the other side. Yummy. :D
Sorry I ate most of it before I thought about a picture for the forum.

Attachments

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Now here is something I never thought about grilling.
We'er on vacation and my daughter had a pizza party for my grandkids, 6 and 7 years old.
Homemade crust, which I need to get the recipiet for a little olive oil, marina sauce, your favorite chesse and toppings.
Grill one side - only a couple of minutes, add the toppings and grill the other side. Yummy. :D
Sorry I ate most of it before I thought about a picture for the forum.
Grilling pizza is one of my favorites.... and hey... your privacy is now completely lost... we can identify you now by your teeth marks :D:p

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Bees-honey Grilled Asparagus With Butter and Olive Oil

Here's a recipe that I believe fully meets @#12's nutritional orientation:

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 stick of butter
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 asparagus bundle
  • Bees-honey
  • Sea salt and freshly crushed pepper
  • Always use a fully-blown fire in the grill when doing veggies. This is important if you want them to come out juicy in the inside and attractive on the outside.
Image00003.jpg

• Start with a bundle of asparagus, cutting their stems to about 1/3 of their total length... The general rule says that you're not supposed to do that until after you cook them, and then you don't cut them with a knife, but bend them until they naturally snap at the point where their fibers give way. But my oval-shaped skillet has limited space, and besides, what the hell... I'm no Discovery Channel Chef trying to impress anyone here.

Image00002.jpg

• Melt the butter, and add a little extra virgin olive oil so as to prevent it from scorching

Image00004.jpg

• Add the asparagus, turning them constantly

Image00006.jpg

• Add an thin trace of bees-honey to the asparagus (don't stop turning them!). This will give them an attractive, caramelized appearance on the outside, while also adding a very interesting aftertaste. Do not add too much honey the first time you try this recipe... the result can be a little overwhelming for some palates.

Image00005.jpg

• Keep on cooking them until they soften enough for your taste (and appear the right color). Then add freshly crushed sea salt and pepper. This, in my book, qualifies in the finger-food category. So just pass the plate to your guests, and see if it survives the first time around the table. Cheers!

Image00001.jpg

And as for meeting 12's practical streak... well, you can always put them in a jar, place them in the fridge, and enjoy them when it's a more convenient time Emoji Smiley-51.png .

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
This post is more "Tales about the grill".

I really like Camp Chef stoves for cooking outdoors/camping, but their grill add on sucks. The heat spreader in their grill catches the grease and causes huge fire storms directly under the meat. This makes grilling steaks and burgers tough. So, I made my own grill add on for my new, 3 Burner Camp Chef stove. I stole the heat spreader design from my Weber grill and I used Weber grates. I used preformed 16 ga. channel to build the top and bottom boxes.

Here it is along with the new 3 burner stove.

Rear View

The Grates/Weber-ish heat spreaders/ and burner protectors. (The burners are round on this stove.)

8 New York Loin steaks cooked medium rare. Yes, there was a little flair up in this picture but the grill worked GREAT!! (We had a combined camp feast.) Oh yea, our group was at Cinder Hills outside of Flagstaff, AZ. The camp was at 6343 ft.

Here is a view from a look out point at around 8000 ft.

Attachments

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Finally did those ribs.
Marinated for a couple of days in BBQ sauce and honey.
Made a rub out of :
1 tsp paprika
chili powder
brown sugar
cumin
1/2 tsp salt, pepper & red pepper.
Oiled the ribs and rub a dub dub.
2 hours at about 300F, adding barbecue sauce about 10 minutes before taking off the grill.

upload_2015-9-6_17-54-44.png

upload_2015-9-6_17-55-56.png

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Porkbutt about 3 hours into a 10 hour cook. 225-250 F using hickory and a few bits of pecan wood. Have to keep it basted with salty water or the exterior gets tough like leather. Don't ask me how I know that.
Hmmmm, good.
I want to try some pulled pork shoulder with mesquite wood smoke - lots of that here.
Maybe the same trick?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
mesquite will be good on steak and other meats that need a short cook time. I found that it is much to bitter tasting if allowed to build up like it would in a long smoke time food such as pork butt. Maybe add just a bit during the first few hours and switch over to a sweet smoke like the hickory or pecan.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hmmmm, good.
I want to try some pulled pork shoulder with mesquite wood smoke - lots of that here.
Maybe the same trick?
Try cherry. I think it works better on pork than mesquite... mesquite works fine on beef, though

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Emoji Objects-138.png Rub, rub, rub your Rub, gently rub the ribs! Emoji Objects-140.png

01.jpg

02.jpg

Emoji Objects-139.png Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, let's go grab a beer! Emoji Objects-177.png

04.jpg

These ribs were not smoked, in the formal sense. Since we didn't use a smoker (there was no water pan underneath). They were rather baked on top of wet cedar and alder planks.

03.jpg

Scenery is important when doing ribs!... greetings from Brownsville, TX, by the way!

05.jpg

And here's the end result of our unorthodox way of doing ribs... Bon apetitte!

06.jpg

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008

View attachment 91196 Rub, rub, rub your Rub, gently rub the ribs! View attachment 91197

View attachment 91190

View attachment 91192

View attachment 91199 Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, let's go grab a beer! View attachment 91198

View attachment 91191

These ribs were not smoked, in the formal sense. Since we didn't use a smoker (there was no water pan underneath). They were rather baked on top of wet cedar and alder planks.

View attachment 91193

Scenery is important when doing ribs!... greetings from Brownsville, TX, by the way!

View attachment 91194

And here's the end result of our unorthodox way of doing ribs... Bon apetitte!

View attachment 91195
Wait!!! I think I smell them now. :)