Tales from the grill...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Good food makes good leftovers.
Oh, don't I know it. My typical family dinner might be 7 of us. If I don't have enough leftover to repeat the meal, I'm sad. (Steaks not included.) I don't mind cooking but I'd rather enjoy good leftovers with no work.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
So would it not be made for a family dinner, for instance? It's more like paella, something you would only make for a large event?
It's normally made for large groups of people. In the order of 10 or more.

We were celebrating my daughter's 18th birthday. And I do have a large family. I planned it for 30 people, and 25 showed up.

As Joe just said, good food makes good leftovers :)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
English style Pickled Onions as requested.
Serve with cold ham, sharp cheddar and a pint of Nut Brown/Belgium Ale (or beer of choice).

Recipe:
Ingredients

1Kg (2 Lbs) Yellow Cooking Onion (orange skin) peeled, ideal 2cm to 4cm (1/2"- 1 1/2" * see note
pickling salt
2 cups malt vinegar
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons pickling spice
2 bay leaves
2 12- ounce mason jars with lids

Instructions
To easily peel the onions, put them in a heat-proof bowl. Pour boiling water over and leave for around 2 minutes
Pour off water and peel
Layer the onions in a bowl and sprinkle the salt on each layer, mix to coat well. No water should be added.
Leave covered for 4 hrs min. or overnight. No longer.
Rinse the onions well and dry.
Add the onions to sterilized jars.
If wishing to gauge amount of pickling liquid, pour water over pickles until jars are full, pour water into graduated jug and record,
Use Malt vinegar straight or mix with Cider Vinegar.
To a saucepan add the vinegar, sugar, pickling spices and bay leaves.
Heat over medium heat, but do not boil, until the sugar is dissolved. Do not breathe in fumes. Allow to cool until still fairly warm.
Pour the vinegar over the onions (until they are completely submerged) and put on the lids and seal tight.
Store in a cool dry place for 3 to 4 months preferably before eating. If the weather is warm, store in refrigerator.
Refrigerate after opening.

* One problem is usually finding the right size yellow onion as most in super markets they are graded large.
One source is local farmers markets etc, where they are either all mixed or if lucky, the vendor has a box of just small ones.
Traditionally they are made with straight Malt vinegar, but if one is not raised on them that way they may be a little sharp, they can be
Mixed with Apple Cider vinegar to taste.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Another find on YouTube. It's illegal to grille in Pinellas County Florida if the wind is blowing.:confused:

This is so absurd that I don't even know if it's true.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Another find on YouTube. It's illegal to grille in Pinellas County Florida if the wind is blowing.:confused:

God protect us from those over-eager air purity jerks... But something tells me that the average Floridian won't let something like this stop him from enjoying himself when it's barbecue season...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Here are two recipes that I intensely recommend the members of this forum ('cause I don't care much about the members of other fora... :p) try next time they have a family get-together.

Butter-Roasted Rosemary-Lemon Galeana Potatoes:
Galeana potatoes are small, reddish-looking potatoes about 1-1/2" in diameter that are perfect for this recipe. Alternately, one could use any other kind of tatters for this side-dish, as long as they're bite-size and one does not over-boil them:

Ingredients:
  • 3 pounds of galeana potatoes
  • 3/4 butter stick
  • Soy sauce, to taste
  • English sauce, to taste
  • Salt and Pepper,
  • 3 fresh sprigs of rosemary
  • 2 juice of two limes

Directions:
  • Boil the potatoes until desired consistency is reached, which normally is before the skin starts to spontaneously fall off, and they're not too soft.
  • Cut and slice the potatoes into bite-sized chunks. This might not be necessary if the potatoes are small enough.
  • Separate the rosemary leaves from the sprigs, and then finely mince them using a sharp knife.
  • Add the potatoes, minced rosemary and butter, (but not the lime juice), into a saucepan, and roast while stirring slowly until they brown a little.
  • Season with ground salt and pepper to taste.
  • Wait until the potatoes cool off, and then add the lime juice, allowing the plate to rest for a while before serving

06e30dd2-2ee2-4fe9-9409-b749c17161e2.jpg

Porter-boiled, Rosemary-Bacon Onion Garnish:

Yeah... I've got a thing for Rosemary, in case none of you have noticed. But believe it or not, you can serve both details listed in this post in a single seating without anyone noticing, or getting bored.

Ingredients:
  • 3 large onions
  • 3 long sprigs of rosemary
  • 1 Bottle or can of Porter beer (such as Guinness)
  • Leftover fat from previously used bacon.

Simple and straight: In a saucepan, slice the three onions into rings, add the rosemary sprigs (without mincing, cutting, or separating the needles) and pour the bacon fat and Porter beer. Then boil everything together until the onion becomes soft and transparent.

This garnish is perfect for a hamburger topping, or even for steak. It's tastier and more flavorful than it seems at first.

97f68b2d-8715-445b-824c-ea84d091dd65.jpg

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Getting ready to grill some beef today and thought I would share this. I like to grill on charcoal and while I prefer lump charcoal I also use briquettes. Months ago the local Home Depot had a great sale in the Kingsford 20 Lb (about 9 Kg) bags. Mentioned it to my neighbor and he said get me some. So I take my truck and drive a few blocks and had them load a 400 Lb (182 Kg) pallet in my truck. We unloaded half into my neighbors shed and half into my shed. One hell of a pile of charcoal. So when my open bag is getting low I tell my wife we need charcoal. She buys charcoal at the grocery store. This went on for a few months. Then one day when I ask her again she looks at me and says "didn't you buy a whole truckload some months back"? I had totally forgotten I had 200 Lbs of charcoal in thew shed. I think I am good till Spring. :)

Ron

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011

@#12, what's the statute of limitations for the offence?

I grilled for about 10 years in Pinellas County -- regardless of wind speed or direction -- ending about 30 years ago.

Should I turn myself in?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hey, @cmartinez I need a Mex Roasted Chicken fix. Do you have a good recipe, because the one I liked isn't sold anymore company went out of business.

They would split a whole chicken at breast like open heart surgery and then lay it down with the back up, basically the 2 half's lay flat on the inside of the rib cage and roast it.

Calling on a Mex Chef for clues to how they do it or at least something close.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Hey, @cmartinez I need a Mex Roasted Chicken fix. Do you have a good recipe, because the one I liked isn't sold anymore company went out of business.

They would split a whole chicken at breast like open heart surgery and then lay it down with the back up, basically the 2 half's lay flat on the inside of the rib cage and roast it.

Calling on a Mex Chef for clues to how they do it or at least something close.

kv
There are many ways of fixin' good chicken... Personally, I prefer the beer-can technique, but 2-half-flat on the grill works fine too (though with not as juicy a result). You cut the chicken as you've just desrcibed, and then you season it using a wet rub based on paprika, chili powder, herbs (such as a little rosemary) and a mixture of orange juice and a little papaya and lemon, all blended with a couple of garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Once it's on the grill, you need to turn it every 5 to 10 minutes for a total of about 35 to 40 minutes. Remember that it'll be done when you twist one of the drumsticks a little and it dislodges easily from the thigh.

EDIT: basting with the previously prepared mix is recommended every time you turn the chicken, just make sure that said mix is fresh and never had any previous contact with the chicken. This to avoid salmonella and such.

pollo_asado_guero40.jpg

Image00001.jpg download.jpg

Here's another interesting, and very authentic recipe.... cheers!

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
There are many ways of fixin' good chicken... Personally, I prefer the beer-can technique, but 2-half-flat on the grill works fine too (though with not as juicy a result). You cut the chicken as you've just desrcibed, and then you season it using a wet rub based on paprika, chili powder, herbs (such as a little rosemary) and a mixture of orange juice and a little papaya and lemon, all blended with a couple of garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Once it's on the grill, you need to turn it every 5 to 10 minutes for a total of about 35 to 40 minutes. Remember that it'll be done when you twist one of the drumsticks a little and it dislodges easily from the thigh.

EDIT: basting with the previously prepared mix is recommended every time you turn the chicken, just make sure that said mix is fresh and never had any previous contact with the chicken. This to avoid salmonella and such.

Here's another interesting, and very authentic recipe.... cheers!
Thats the one, I'm ready for some really important spiced chicken.

Thanks for hooking my up, I just knew you would know.

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Thats the one, I'm ready for some really important spiced chicken.

Thanks for hooking my up, I just knew you would know.

kv
@cmartinez so what if I do the best of both worlds. I do the chicken like I did my turkey, it would be a brine. Then after I would do the split it like you do thingy.

Next I just need some good sides.:D

kv:)