T junction traffic light project

shaked194

Joined Mar 26, 2020
Hello, i need to plan a T junction traffic light system, using a 555 timer a-stable mode operating in 1 Hz as a clock.
i need help with designing a controller (counter and FF) which will provide a 6 sec output followed by 3 sec output
and then back again to 6 sec and so on.
I'm sorry but my English isn't perfect

6 sec 3 sec 6 sec 3 sec
מערכת רמזורים.PNG

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
i need help with designing a controller (counter and FF) which will provide a 6 sec output followed by 3 sec output
and then back again to 6 sec and so on.
Post the work you've done so far.

What is the on time for each color?

shaked194

Joined Mar 26, 2020
im in early-stage and having a serious problem with the conception.
i don't fully understand if i need one or two counters...
I've managed to produce a 5 sec up 1 sec down output for the upper counter
and 2 sec up 1 sec down output for the lower counter

I want to use some kind of flip flops to control the output signal.

thank you very much

v,jkv.PNG

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What is the on time for each color? You mentioned 6-3-6-3. Does that mean yellow is on for 3 seconds?

shaked194

Joined Mar 26, 2020
well i think i mistakenly thought about it analogically because of the need for specific timing.
i need some kind of state machine to derive it, i just don't know where to begin

shaked194

Joined Mar 26, 2020
its a mini-project at the university.
its actually more complicated than what I've said here,
but this is my main struggle.
i need to understand the "controller block" which keeps the system sync, inputs and outputs

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i need to understand the "controller block" which keeps the system sync, inputs and outputs
What are your ideas for this?

What are you showing us in post #3? You have 6 lights to control and you show decoding for 2. How did you derive that logic?

shaked194

Joined Mar 26, 2020
I've said before, it was just a hunch.
so what you are saying is that I need actually 6 lights to control, 3 for each traffic light.
any suggestions about where to begin? which counter to use? what about the state machine?

thank you, shaked

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I think the picture depicts 3 states of two sets of lights... There should be two of one and one of the other..
What do you mean? There are 6 lights that need to be controlled. Because of the timing, multiple lights can't be controlled by the same logic.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
What do you mean? There are 6 lights that need to be controlled. Because of the timing, multiple lights can't be controlled by the same logic.
Oh!! You are talking about the red green yellow... Sorry that was a given... I was talking about the traffic light as a whole... A Tee junction needs three

Over here we do have multiple.. Amber Red.. "Get ready to go"

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
there are variety of ways to set it up but basically these light are "phase shifted"
so you can use counter and adder --or-- counter and 2 decoders --or-- set up the same "state machine" for each direction and initiate them to proper phase shift (perhaps also making sure the phase shift stays what it suppose to be) .... etc. more versions
your states ::
-TIME 6 3 6 3
MAIN G Y R R
...SIDE R R G Y ( " 180° " )

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
There are two, identical sets of three lights for Main. One in each direction. There is no additional logic for this. In actuality, there are nine lights.

shaked194

Joined Mar 26, 2020
There are two, identical sets of three lights for Main. One in each direction. There is no additional logic for this. In actuality, there are nine lights.

well the main road lights can be considered as one traffic light.
so there are two sets - main and side. in total 6 lights