Syncronous Condenser

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard1968

Joined Sep 11, 2011
I live in an area of industrial opperations. I have been working ona John Bedini free energy generator and was told by an electrician friend that I could probably save enough money to not have to build the energy device if I just put a Syncronous Condenser on my line. I'm told that it would probably cut my cost by as much ashalf. I have a 7 HP air com,pressor, a double door fridge, and my furnace. I runfrom $85 to $145. I only get $985 a month disability income. Those kind of savings would be huge. Can anyone advise or help with info? Thank you. SDP
What is a tag added to a message?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
A synchronous condenser (basically a synchronous machine) may set you back a bit on capital and I'm not sure the supply authorities would allow such an installation. I guess they might. You would use a synchronous condenser to control reactive power & presumably with a view to improving your power factor. One might install cheaper static (capacitor based) power factor compensation when warranted and economically justifiable. You'd need to establish whether your power factor is sufficiently poor to justify an installation. Again, the capital + installation cost won't be cheap. And you'd need to consult your power supply provider to check if they would allow the installation.

You may end up with the unfortunate situation where you are compensating other "low" power factor customers connected to the same supply line and receive an even bigger bill for the reactive power current draw into your compensation system.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have used capacitors to "correct" the power factor of several machines. I can tell because the current from the power line goes down. (I was only experimenting for the sake of my education.) For instance, my refrigerator compressor uses 5 amps, but only 3 amps is coming rom the power line now that the compressor has a phase correcting capacitor. The problem is that where I live, the power company does not charge for power factor error and I save no money by using 3 amps instead of 5 amps.

You did not fill in the part about where you live, so I do not know if ths information is of any use to you. You can check with your local power company and see if you will accrue any benefit. I believe there is nothing unlawful or even suspicious about correcting your power factor. Asking the power company should do you no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.