Symbol Directory

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
When recently posting an answer to a forum question I wanted to write out a couple of equations relating to the topic being discussed. The topic can be found here. The problem I had was the symbols were not available on the post reply interface and I had to copy and paste the symbols from Word. What are the chances of having a symbol directory equiped with all the common electrical symbols in, as part of the post reply interface? Another example of where I came up against this problem was here, where I didn't copy and paste from Word because I couldn't find them.

Also some time ago, a forum member mentioned about something an which we could draw a circuit, for example a pallet. I don't know how easy or difficult this would be to impliment but I thought it was a good idea and was wondering what the site admin thinks. The thread can be found here.

I am not at all familiar with how easy such things are to do, and if what I'm saying is impossible or not practical then tell me, I would also be interested to hear what other members think.

jrap

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the ideas.

I think the easiest solutions for the symbols problem is creating small images that can be included in a post, the exact same way that a smiley is.
As for drawing a circuit, I have looked around and found a few possibilities. I found a few graphical editors that are java applets. I'm not sure how easy it would be to incorporate them into the forums, but if there's a will, there's a way.

Unfortunatly I have been swamped with school work (mid-terms), so I don't really have the time to add these features for a few more weeks.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Cheers for the reply jrap.

I think the easiest solutions for the symbols problem is creating small images that can be included in a post, the exact same way that a smiley is.

Thats kind of what I was thinking, so its a case of a menu that you can just click on the symbol you need. If you want me to draw together a list of the common symbols that may be needed or anything like that, let me know.

As for drawing a circuit, I have looked around and found a few possibilities. I found a few graphical editors that are java applets. I'm not sure how easy it would be to incorporate them into the forums, but if there's a will, there's a way.

Sounds good. I'd offer help but I wouldn't know what to do! :p

jrap

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hi
just to let you know I didn't forget about this thread ;) Been away for a week (spring break), and just slowly getting back into the swing of things.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by jrap@Mar 1 2004, 06:14 PM
Hi
just to let you know I didn't forget about this thread ;) Been away for a week (spring break), and just slowly getting back into the swing of things.
No probs :D Just let us know if I can help out with anything, I may be busy towards the end of the week, but after that I should be ok.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by Battousai@Mar 2 2004, 06:37 AM
Kind of an early spring break, huh? Mine isn't for 3 weeks!
Count yourself lucky, we don't even get a spring break! Well I suppose we get a bit of time a Easter, but that doesn't count because I'll be working! :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've been tasked with drawing up a range of commonly used symbols in electronics. If anyone has any suggestions for symbols/characters that may be of use please post, whether it be a link or otherwise.

Cheers :)