Switching between two power sources

Fuji

Joined Nov 8, 2014
First question is what is the best way to switch between those two power sources manually?

Second, it shows two power sources, one coming from the battery, and the other one from an external AC adapter from an external jack. As you can see, I am using two P-Channel MOSFETs for reverse polarity protection on both sources. Is it right that both external powers connect to the single Vout trace?

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The best way to switch manually? Well, there's this thing called a "switch"....

If those pads are your connections to the power supplies, how is current getting back to the supply since one side is only connected to a FET gate?

Fuji

Joined Nov 8, 2014
The best way to switch manually? Well, there's this thing called a "switch"....

If those pads are your connections to the power supplies, how is current getting back to the supply since one side is only connected to a FET gate?
I shouldve clarified it a bit more. Yes I know it is a switch, but what type of switch? Does a DPDT work for this or an SP4T? There are 4 trace lines.

Im learning the P-Channel FET idea from here. I perhaps made a mistake on that one which I think can see it right now. I'll change it. - http://provideyourown.com/2012/reverse-polarity-protection-circuits/

D and S are reversed. G goes to ground.

Last edited: