Switching 2 Batteries with same voltage and current to supply and charge one at a time

eugeneagustin

Joined Jun 15, 2020
I have a project wherein I want to supply my board with two batteries. Both batteries is Li-PO 3.7V 10Ah.

The set-up that I want is one battery will supply the board until it discharge. The board that I am using detects the battery level, so once the battery reaches the minimum battery level that I set, it sends a signal to switch to the next battery and automatically charge the discharged battery. Once the discharged battery is fully charged, the board detects it and sends a signal to stop the charging. The process is continuous. Switching of batteries and enabling/disabling of charging are all automatic.

What circuit or IC do I need to do this?

Thank you

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi e,
Welcome to AAC.
If you have a continuous source of power to automatically recharge the batteries, why are you using batteries to power the project and not the continuous power source, via a suitable power supply.?
E

eugeneagustin

Joined Jun 15, 2020
hi e,
Welcome to AAC.
If you have a continuous source of power to automatically recharge the batteries, why are you using batteries to power the project and not the continuous power source, via a suitable power supply.?
E
Hi ericgibbs,

Thank you for your response.

My main objective is to rely only on rechargeable batteries for my project that has a configuration that can last for a long time but at the moment i can't do that due to some development issues. That's why at the moment I'm using the set-up that I mentioned. So once I solved the development issue I can just easily modify the set-up wherein the charging portion that relies on the continuous power source be removed.

Thank you. This set-up is only a short term solution.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi e,
Have you consider using two of these inexpensive modules [ ref video] to control charge each battery and then connect the two batteries to the project via low voltage drop Schottky diodes.?
E

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
There are several functions so there are several sub-circuits to diagram.
1. UPS uninterrupted power supply transfers A to B when the source voltage drops below a threshold.
2. An automatic battery charger takes care of turning the charger on and off.
3. UPS transfers the battery B to A when the battery is charged.

A search for a suitable UPS and battery charger circuits will have specifics if needed.

eugeneagustin

Joined Jun 15, 2020
hi e,
Have you consider using two of these inexpensive modules [ ref video] to control charge each battery and then connect the two batteries to the project via low voltage drop Schottky diodes.?
E
Hi eric,

Not yet, I haven't see this when I'm searching. I will check this module. Can this also be used for switching?

Thank you

eugeneagustin

Joined Jun 15, 2020
There are several functions so there are several sub-circuits to diagram.
1. UPS uninterrupted power supply transfers A to B when the source voltage drops below a threshold.
2. An automatic battery charger takes care of turning the charger on and off.
3. UPS transfers the battery B to A when the battery is charged.

A search for a suitable UPS and battery charger circuits will have specifics if needed.
You are correct with the functions that I want. Any suggestion on how to do this?

Thank you