Swap WIG-WAG for twist throttle

Mr Tel-Boy

Joined Jul 31, 2020
Hello nice very people,
I have a Quingo Vitesse Mobility Scooter that I am currently 'pimping' to look like a Harley! Before I go any further I will confess to being a complete amateur and not very clued up on the technical stuff especially electronics. So I would so grateful if any replies come back assuming that I know nothing! (keep them idiot proof).

Skuta 001.JPG
The Scooter is factory fitted with a Wig-Wag controller which has a 'pot' with three wires (I don't know which is which). The Wig wag not only makes it go backwards and forwards but also acts as an accelerator.
Wig-Wag 001.JPGWig-Wag 002.JPG

I have bought a twist throttle which also has three wires. The Twist Throttle is clearly designed to move a vehicle forward. It has three wires
Blue: signal wire
Black: negative pole
Red: positive pole
Twist Throttle 002.JPG

when I touch wires to wires so to speak I can make the scooter go backwards and forwards without having to touch the twist! which of course is not ideal!
what I need to know is, is it possible to fit a twist throttle in replacement of the wig-wag, what would I need to do, what else would I need to get and of course most importantly how would I do it.

Please please please keep it as simple as possible because as soon as I start reading some of the technical posts I feel way out of my depth.

Many thanks in advance

Tel-Boy
Skuta Side View 001.JPG

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
Unfortunately as you guessed it won't be a direct wire it up and go type deal. Personally I don't have any suggestions as it's a bit out of my areas of knowledge, but I can say you will at least need a direction switch as well as a circuit of some variety to convert the signals from old to new.

A few things others will ask about since it will determine what course to take...
1) Disconnect the existing pot and measure resistance between the yellow and blue, blue and white, and yellow and white. It should be the same between the blue and white wires as the yellow and white, but just to make sure there isn't some form of offset built in.
2) The same for the twist throttle. Resistance between red and black, red and blue, and blue and black.
3) I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not, but if you can measure voltages between the pot pins and ground with the power on and the pot centered.

I like the idea myself and hope others will be able to guide you along. Good luck and welcome to AAC.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
is it possible to fit a twist throttle in replacement of the wig-wag,
First a dumb question, what are you calling a "wig-wag"? For what I know that means a way to control lights used on police cars or wreckers.

I think your twist grip is actually a hall effect one. Not compatible with a potentiometer type control.

Mr Tel-Boy

Joined Jul 31, 2020
Unfortunately as you guessed it won't be a direct wire it up and go type deal. Personally I don't have any suggestions as it's a bit out of my areas of knowledge, but I can say you will at least need a direction switch as well as a circuit of some variety to convert the signals from old to new.

A few things others will ask about since it will determine what course to take...
1) Disconnect the existing pot and measure resistance between the yellow and blue, blue and white, and yellow and white. It should be the same between the blue and white wires as the yellow and white, but just to make sure there isn't some form of offset built in.
2) The same for the twist throttle. Resistance between red and black, red and blue, and blue and black.
3) I'm not sure if it will make a difference or not, but if you can measure voltages between the pot pins and ground with the power on and the pot centered.

I like the idea myself and hope others will be able to guide you along. Good luck and welcome to AAC.
Thank you 'Geek of the Week'. I do have a contingency plan if this is not possible or it's going to be way above my pay grade.
Plan B is to remove the wig-wag, extend the wiring and mount it down by my right foot plate, then fit the footplate across so as I can operated with my foot, pressure on the right to go forward and on the left to go backwards.
I'll let you know how I get on and post more picks when it is finished.
It's my first one, I plan to do others, a Rickshaw would be fun to do.

Mr Tel-Boy

Joined Jul 31, 2020
First a dumb question, what are you calling a "wig-wag"? For what I know that means a way to control lights used on police cars or wreckers.

I think your twist grip is actually a hall effect one. Not compatible with a potentiometer type control.
I have seen references on the internet to the controller that you hand operate on a mobility scooter which have called it a Wig-Wag.

Mr Tel-Boy

Joined Jul 31, 2020
UPDATE
The solution to my problem: I stuck with the original Wig-Wag pot and assembly and created a mount so that I could use it as a foot control, Press down on the front of the peddle it goes forward like an accelerator in a car, press down on the back of the peddle and it reverses. It works a treat. The twist grip throttle controller is fitted to my SKUTA but is just an ornament!

Now on to the next Project........

redrooster01

Joined Jul 15, 2014
If you are using a Curtis controller in your mobility scooter you can download the manual for the particular Curtis controller model you have? Mine is a Curtis 1228. It will show you circuits for a Wig Wag throttle an Inverted Wig Wag throttle and a Twist throttle. Yours is an Inverted Wig Wag throttle. I realize you've done it another way but this might help someone else?

infinity888

Joined May 21, 2023
UPDATE
The solution to my problem: I stuck with the original Wig-Wag pot and assembly and created a mount so that I could use it as a foot control, Press down on the front of the peddle it goes forward like an accelerator in a car, press down on the back of the peddle and it reverses. It works a treat. The twist grip throttle controller is fitted to my SKUTA but is just an ornament!

Now on to the next Project........

I realise this is an old post now, so I'm hoping I will get a response.

How did you convert the foot plates to work as forward/backward controls? I have just aquired the quingo vitess 2 and thought that it would be interesting to control the scooter with the footplates.. also, any idea where the speed limiter is located as getting a higher speed then 8mph is surely possible?

Cheers in advance

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi 888,
Welcome to AAC.
The original poster has not been on AAC since 2020, so the chances of a reply are slim.
I would suggest that you create a new thread.
Moderation.