Supercharging those Electronic Mosquito Swatters

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
I have one of those tennis racket shaped Mosquito swatters and I want it to really POP and ARC when I get one so I know it.
Right now it does the job, but somewhat quietly. Others I've seen give the "fireworks" I'm referring to.

Do I Just need a larger capacitor?

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
I have one of those tennis racket shaped Mosquito swatters and I want it to really POP and ARC when I get one so I know it.
Right now it does the job, but somewhat quietly. Others I've seen give the "fireworks" I'm referring to.

Do I Just need a larger capacitor?
You probably need a higher voltage.

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
Roger that.

I wonder if there a voltage step up circuit inside?

I suppose there would almost have to be.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If the one you have is from Harbor Freight (a US store some of us call a "Junk" store) then it's like one I have. There's not really any way of upping the voltage in the grid without rebuilding the entire generator circuit. What's there is just too small to do any serious charging. More capacitors will mean more current but not more voltage. And it will take longer to charge to its potential I bought one just to mess with it and make something different out of it. (the electronics inside)

I tried powering it with a higher voltage, but when I went over 5 volts I fried the transistor. Mine looks a lot like the diagram posed by @debe. Only mine has one diode and one capacitor. And I'm certainly not an expert on how these circuits work, so it's probably no wonder why I blew out a transistor.