Summer camps for kids

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Will this never stop? :( I would never do this to my kids at camp. Creepy Helicopter parenting.
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/tre...cle_dd015621-1727-592b-9bf8-032ea8d14287.html
When David Hiller's two daughters checked into Camp Echo, a bucolic sleep-away camp in Upstate New York, they relinquished their cellphones for seven idyllic weeks away from their digital lives.

But not Hiller: His phone rings 10 times a day with notifications from the summer camp's facial-recognition service, which alerts him whenever one of his girls is photographed enjoying their newfound independence, going water-skiing or making a new friend.
But some counselors argue that summer camp is one of the few places left in the world where children are expected to unplug - a cocoon for kids to develop real friendships, learn about themselves and get a first glimpse of the freedom and self-confidence they'll carry with them for the rest of their lives. They worry kids will be robbed of that experience if they know it's also being transmitted to family hundreds of miles away.

"How can our kids ever learn to be autonomous when we're always tracking and monitoring them?" said Katie Hurley, a child and adolescent psychotherapist. "We want kids to embrace new experiences: to be great people, expand their social circles and take healthy risks. And we tamp down on them when we're always over their shoulders, saying, 'Don't worry, I'll be watching.' "