Suitable Replacement for F12C20CT Common Cathode Rectifier Diode

dmarciano84

Joined Oct 1, 2023
I am looking into building my first SMPS to convert 120VAC to 5VDC @ 10A. I have been reading and looking up schematics and found one that a good schematic and list of components that I wanted to try and replicate. However, there is one component that I can't find; it is a common cathode rectifier F12C20CT.

This component is apparently made by a company called ThinkiSemi which I personally have never heard of. I could order it through their website, but I am not comfortable with that, eBay only has a single listing for pre-owened ones, and my usual sites (DigiKey, Mouser, and Jameco) don't carry them. I looked up its datasheet and tried to find a close match. The closest match that I could find on DigiKey was the SFF1604GH.

As I have never built a SMPS previously, and never have had to use a rectifier diode either, I was curious if anyone has ever seen this component (i.e., F12C20CT), if the SFF1604GH would be a suitable replacement, and/or if there are any other recommended parts that could be suggested.

TIA

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Here are the main parameters of interest for SMPS. Choose a diode with these minimum specs according to F12C20CT datasheet:

- Maximum Reserve Voltage > 200VDC / 140VAC

- Maximum Forward Current > 12A

- Reverse Recovery Time < 150ns

Post the SMPS schematic if you have it. You'll get better answers.

dmarciano84

Joined Oct 1, 2023
Here are the main parameters of interest for SMPS. Choose a diode with these minimum specs according to F12C20CT datasheet:

- Maximum Reserve Voltage > 200VDC / 140VAC

- Maximum Forward Current > 12A

- Reverse Recovery Time < 150ns

Post the SMPS schematic if you have it. You'll get better answers.
Those were the main values I was comparing. For the 1604G it has the values"

• Repetitive Peak Reverse Voltage: 200V
  • Reverse Voltage (Total RMS Value): 140V
  • Forward Current 16A
  • Reverse Recovery Time: 35ns

so it seemed to be sufficient but wasn't sure if these were the only values I should be comparing for this application. The schematic I am referencing is this:
1701711581454.png

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Those were the main values I was comparing. For the 1604G it has the values"

• Repetitive Peak Reverse Voltage: 200V
  • Reverse Voltage (Total RMS Value): 140V
  • Forward Current 16A
  • Reverse Recovery Time: 35ns

so it seemed to be sufficient but wasn't sure if these were the only values I should be comparing for this application. The schematic I am referencing is this:
View attachment 309119
They are on the output so it should be alright. I can't comment on the circuit itself since I've never built an AC-DC converter.

Do you understand what the circuit is doing? If not, it might be a good idea to stick to low voltage DC-DC converters. High voltage AC can be dangerous if the feedback mechanism is disturbed.