Suggestion with DC Power jacks

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Hi all,
I am designing a board and felt I would take your suggestions. The board I'm designing will be driving 8 seperate board that has 14 WS2812b RGB LED's on each board. So totally the controller board will drive 14x8 = 112 WS2812b LED's.
I've learnt from online sources that approximately these ws2812b led will draw 50mA at max. So by calculating the max current drawn is 5.6A and I also have an ESP32 with some other normal peripherals. So rounding it I thought of using a DC power jack that can tolerate 6A and supply voltage would be 12V. Can anyone suggest me any plugs or jacks that are widely used and easy for integration? Help would be much appreciated.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
5.5mm barrel jacks
Not really for 6A though as standard with a 2.1mm pin, the bulk of these are 3A or 5A, though there are a few 5.5 & 7A versions, from specific manufacturers. Your average cheap Chinese one is 3A max.

If the load is truly 6A you need to be looking at 10A rated connectors for long-term reliability. There are connectors similar to 5.5mm barrel jacks but with better heavier/contacts that are less likely to overheat, typically 2.5mm or larger pin..

Farnell & Digikey have a good range of similar type of connectors.

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Not really for 6A though as standard with a 2.1mm pin, the bulk of these are 3A or 5A, though there are a few 5.5 & 7A versions, from specific manufacturers. Your average cheap Chinese one is 3A max.

If the load is truly 6A you need to be looking at 10A rated connectors for long-term reliability. There are connectors similar to 5.5mm barrel jacks but with better heavier/contacts that are less likely to overheat, typically 2.5mm or larger pin..

Farnell & Digikey have a good range of similar type of connectors.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I have checked with digikey and found this https://www.digikey.in/short/zbrfcv this part, I wanna know can I go with it or not. If yes, which wall power adapter should I use to plug into these kind of jacks?

Thanks you

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Ah... best to start with finding an adaptor, then choose the jack to match whatever it uses.

If you go onto Digikey for example and search for 12v 72W to 80W AC/DC adaptors you get this choice of connectors:
1595349505006.png

Since barrel jacks not normally used at that power level. I know some laptop manufacturers use them at 80 - 100W, but then they have control of both sides. If you're buying in an adaptor, particularly a cheap no-brand, one or even a branded one, with a barrel jack, you have no idea of the manufacturer of the matching socket and at this level its risky.

kowshik1729

Joined May 10, 2020
Ah... best to start with finding an adaptor, then choose the jack to match whatever it uses.

If you go onto Digikey for example and search for 12v 72W to 80W AC/DC adaptors you get this choice of connectors:
View attachment 212703

Since barrel jacks not normally used at that power level. I know some laptop manufacturers use them at 80 - 100W, but then they have control of both sides. If you're buying in an adaptor, particularly a cheap no-brand, one or even a branded one, with a barrel jack, you have no idea of the manufacturer of the matching socket and at this level its risky.
hi,

As you told, I've first searched for wall adapters I found this 12V 72W (6A) wall adapter. The male connector of this adapter will obviously fit into DC barrel jacks, but I need a jack that can tolerate such high current. So please suggest me on this issue.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Go for a 5.5mm/2.5mm female connector. This one seems to have the right insertion depth, so should fit OK. I cannot be 100% sure without trying it. The supplier says the plug is 10mm long mating length. This socket is 11mm but the norm is anything from 9mm upwards. Without trying it to assess quality of fit I can only make a best guess. Its cheap enough so I suggest you buy the matching plug; if it turns out to not mate well you can change the plug.