Subscripting and superscripting in Xeno

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
@jrap
I would like to show fractions like 1/3. one thrird.png That was done with superscripting and subscripting in a word processor.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
\(\frac{V}{T}\) = \(\frac{I}{C}\)
Better.

View attachment 223710
The \ followed by and open or close paren/bracket no longer works reliably in many browsers. In the version of Chrome I'm using your code didn't render the parens at all (and note that you are missing the open paren on the right side in your image capture). I think this is more related to the \ escape sequences being interpreted directly as a higher precedence. I don't know if this is a browser-thing or a Xenforo-thing.

It's best to use \left( and \right)

So:

\left( \frac{V}{T} \right) = \left( \frac{I}{C} \right)

yields

\(\left( \frac{V}{T} \right) = \left( \frac{I}{C} \right)\)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
\(Iin= \frac{Vin}{R1}\)
I would think you would want to subscript the "in" and the "1":

\(I_{in}= \frac{V_{in}}{R_{1}}\)

If you only have a single character that is being sub- or super-scripted, you don't need the curly braces. Omitting them can make it a bit cleaner to read, but a common mistake is then later adding an additional character without adding the curly braces that are now needed.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What do the left/right commands do?
The basically create matching delimiters. In many situations they could be omitted. But now that has become unreliable. It may have to do with input validation being used to prevent cross-site scripting, but I don't know that for sure.