Submersible etchent resistant heater?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am building a device that is going to agitate the etchent. I use hydrochloric acid in my etching process.

I want to add a heater that will warm the acid. The heater should be submersible. I really don't know how many amps I might need. That is one of my questions.

The other question is ideas on how I can make this heater.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Perhaps you could encase a small cartridge or strip heater in a plastic resin, or some liquid rubber like flex seal.

You could also try using a TEC to heat the pan, I have used them to heat water and they do a great job.

I doubt you will need very much in the way of wattage, but I have no idea how much acid you want to heat, what temp you want to heat it to, and the ambient.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Heat the etchant in a standard glass container.
Then use a peristaltic pump with tygon tubing and spray the etchant onto the board held vertically in a plexiglas tank.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Then use a peristaltic pump with tygon tubing and spray the etchant onto the board held vertically in a plexiglas tank.
I have bigger plans. I have an old scanner I have been wanting to hack for some time now. After etching a few dozen boards, I finally decided to start the project. The scanner will slosh the etchent back and forth.

Yeah probably over kill but it seems like a cool fun project and has been the catalyst for me to learn about stepper motors.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
I am building a device that is going to agitate the etchent. I use hydrochloric acid in my etching process.

I want to add a heater that will warm the acid. The heater should be submersible. I really don't know how many amps I might need. That is one of my questions.

The other question is ideas on how I can make this heater.
I have an idea. Just make sure you know what you are doing and take necessary precautions. You know how graphite (which you could get from pencils) has a very low resistance, but enough to generate substantial heat and glow red? Well, you could get some graphite rods from pencils, and connect them in a series. If the resistance is to great, do a series/parallel combination. The resistance should be about 50-100 ohms per rod, though measure it with a multimeter just to be sure. Obviously, series vs parallel will greatly affect the resistance. You ideally, the resistance would be low enough to draw substantial current.

Then, send about 40-50 volts through them (or just enough to get ideally 1 amp), from a power supply that can safely supply a lot of current. Maybe even use a supercapaciator bank. They should glow red and, if they were still in a pencil, they would set it on fire. I know from experience. Just don't burn yourself. Then, you can work on making a metal enclosure or something, as I imagine HCL and graphite and metal leads would react.

This should be relatively low-cost, is more DIY, and would probably be good for your purposes. Again, please be safe, and don't electrocute or burn yourself.