stupid question 8051

furtsiv

Joined Mar 7, 2017
[EDIT]
thanks for the info
i have a hex to load in the chip but i don't have its source code , can i add to it extra code to do this :
at each startup read timer 0 , if its value superior to a specified amount of time then clear vector ram or external ram ,one is enough

i want to do this , because i will send my microcontroller to some people ,so to prevent abuse i want it to last only 3 months then destroy itself

i'm ready to change to any secure microcontroller to do this ,the original is DS5000FP

Last edited:

furtsiv

Joined Mar 7, 2017
is it possible or not ?
i want to send instructions without burning hex inside it
can't be done via parallel port ? if yes wich program ?
how can i read a register value ?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'll go out on a limb here.

No, it can't be done.

That's not how these chips work. Did you watch the entire video?

Should have followed my gut and shut my mouth.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
For the garden variety 8051 @djsfantasi is correct. There are some 8051 variants from Atmel that have a built-in bootloader with serial port support. Atmel has an application program called "FLIP" which is a free download. Using both of these with an appropriate board layout you can accomplish almost what you want. You have to assemble your sample program and download it into the flash memory using "FLIP", in conjunction with the built-in bootloader, and then do a power on RESET.

Last edited:

furtsiv

Joined Mar 7, 2017
@Papabravo @AlbertHall

thanks for the info
i have a hex to load in the chip but i don't have its source code , can i add to it extra code to do this :
at each startup read timer 0 , if its value superior to a specified amount of time then clear vector ram or external ram ,one is enough

i want to do this , because i will send my microcontroller to some people ,so to prevent abuse i want it to last only 3 months then destroy itself

i'm ready to change to any secure microcontroller to do this ,the original is DS5000FP

Last edited:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Google '8051 disassmebler'. This will fetch up programs which can take the hex and extract assembler source code though it will not have meaningful labels or comments so may be difficult to understand. Starting from there, you can modify the source to add whatever you wish.

furtsiv

Joined Mar 7, 2017
can somone please write the code to do this operation :
"at each startup read timer 0 , if its value superior to a specified amount of time then clear vector ram or external ram ,one is enough"