STUMPED ON SIMPLE CIRCUIT.... ASSISTANCE REQUIRED

IMACMAN

Joined Apr 30, 2017
Good day All... I am a New Member, I just discover this group. I am in need of some help, I have a pretty basic understanding of eletronic circuits, it was a hobby as a kid, and now I have a renewed interest, Please let me know if I am posting in the wrong area / Forum...

I have a nice little workshop out back, that consists of a home Built CNC, a Miling Machine, A Metal Lathe and Two Laser Cutting / Engraving machines.

MY QUESTION SITUATION:.... Recently I have started to upgrade my K-40 CHINESE LASER... I have purchased a Z-AXIS Table. The table uses a Stepper motor to raise and lower the cutting bed. As you are aware typically, a Stepper motor requires a driver / controller etc to function, however I was able to locate a very basic analog solution, that consists of a 12V ( AC ) Power supply and a Capacitor, and a switch, amazingly enough this basic analog circuit works, and will allow me to raise or lower the Cutting bed with a switch. When I first tested the circuit I use a three position toggle switch, just to make sure the circuit would serve my purposes, and it does... the problem with the toggle switch is that it creates 3 states... 1.) UP-motor turning clockwise... 2.) CENTER- Motor Vibrating ( like an electric razor)..... 3.) DOWN-Motor turning counter clockwise. Unfortunately, because of the nature of this toggle switch the circuit will always be in one of three states, with no actual off switch, I do realize that I could just wire in another switch (DPDT) or another type but there are issues in doing this. What I have decided the best option is...would be to use a Momentary Rocker Switch, that will leave the circuit unpowered when in the center / at rest position.... So...today I purchased a switch that has polarity reversing built into the wiring, I am hoping this will do the trick, if not please feel free to suggest an alternate solution.

THE PROBLEM:.... I have tested the circuit with the toggle switch as mentioned, and I have sat down wth pen and paper trying to figure out how to use the new reversing switch... but have not been able to figure this out... if this was a simple DC motor, it would of course be a breeze.... however in my situation, has three differences... 1.) The circuit requires a 12V AC power source ( I am using a 12V AC wallwart, works great )... 2.) The Stepper Motor has three connectors as opposed to two on a DC Motor Setup.... and 3.) The circuit uses a capacitior to make the Motor Function in the desired manner

So what I need is to know how to wire this new switch into the circuit.... I should probably add that one of the reasons that a toggle switch is not the best choice, apart from the AC Vibration issue in the Center position, is that I need to be able to press the button and have it quickly release to position / stop the motor / Bed of the cutter very quickly and accurately, and a toggle switch, is not the fastest way for accuracy.

The Switch I have bought and am hoping to use is -- Rocker Switch SWT-ROC-MOM-4W With Polarity reversing Circuit ON-OFF-ON Momentary Contact.... To better illustrate my current situation as well as what I am hoping to accomplish, I have included a Diagram that should help out... I hope...lol
Any and all help / advise is greatly appreciated. In my diagram in the bottom right corner is the actual Rocker Switch Connection Configuration, ( the pinout may not be accurate, but the orientation and connection aspect of it is correct, and therefore shouldn't pose an issue, if it does I can lookup the actual pinoot numbers. Thats about it, I hope I am clear enough in my request, and again, all help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

IMACMAN

Joined Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply... In your circuit, you have 2 seperate switches... is this correct or is your intention that
it is a type of switch that actuall has 2 swiches inclosd in one casing... ie one switch with six contacts?

Thanks

Mack

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply... In your circuit, you have 2 seperate switches... is this correct or is your intention that
it is a type of switch that actuall has 2 swiches inclosd in one casing... ie one switch with six contacts?

Thanks

Mack
Yes, It is one switch, a DPDT switch with centre-OFF with six contacts. I don't know how easy it is to find such a switch.
Another option is to use two push buttons. I haven't figured out as yet how to use two push buttons (with multiple contacts).