Stuck to know which Logic Gate is the "Proccessing Device"

Firstgamerable

Joined May 6, 2018
bandicam 2018-05-06 19-49-53-039.jpg

Hello guys, I wish you all are having a good day ;)

So basically, I have a question from my homework which is related from the picture of the logic circuit that I've attached and I am having some troubles on understanding something. The question is.

From the system above, what are the:
a. Input device(s)
b. Output device(s)
c. Processing device(s)

What I know is, the input devices are the (Light sensor & Pressure sensor) and the output device is the (Lamp). But yet, I don't know what Processing device is and where it is on the circuit map, I've checked my book but nothing mentions it. It would be really cool if anyone can give me a good explanation of what it is and help me to boost my knowledge and correct my mistakes if I missed anything blindly.

Thank you very much <3

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Processing device isn't a standard term. If the definition isn't in your book, it must be something you've covered in class (or a previous class).

Firstgamerable

Joined May 6, 2018
Hello dl324,

Well, I am certainly sure that I didn't cover any of processing device in my previous class. I think this question is tricky and I am just not getting it :confused:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am certainly sure that I didn't cover any of processing device in my previous class. I think this question is tricky and I am just not getting it :confused:
You could ask your instructor for clarification.

In the broadest sense, a "processing device" could be anything that takes input and does something with it.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would say a "processing device" accepts inputs and gives specific output(s) base upon the state of the inputs.
From that you should be able to determine what the processing device(s) is in that diagram.

Firstgamerable

Joined May 6, 2018
Thanks for replying!

I've done some research on my book and found this sentence "integrated circuits that receive an input signal, process it, and change it into an output signal". So basically, the logical operators (NOT & AND) are the processing device. Because they process the inputs and change into an output signal. Makes sense guys, right?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Thanks for replying!

I've done some research on my book and found this sentence "integrated circuits that receive an input signal, process it, and change it into an output signal". So basically, the logical operators (NOT & AND) are the processing device. Because they process the inputs and change into an output signal. Makes sense guys, right?
Your book is using a narrower definition that I'd use.

Why does something need to be an integrated circuit before it can be a processing unit? A processing unit could be made from discrete components (e.g. a transistor inverter), biological, mechanical, ...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
AND and NOT operators are used in discrete maths too, right? :/
Sorry if am misunderstanding...
An integrated circuit is a monolithic structure where all components are on the same piece of semiconducting material.

An integrated NOT gate could be made with 2 transistors (1 NMOS, 1 PMOS). You could also make a NOT gate using 2 discrete MOSFETs, or a transistor and a resistor. The latter would not satisfy your book's definition of a processing device, but performs the same function as the former.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for replying!

That's not a complete sentence and there's no context. Is that sentence fragment the definition of a processing device, or just an example of one?