Stove top relay arcing sound

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I'm in a new house, just using a fairly modern electric stove, and as the stove top element cuts in/out, I hear a sort of crackly/popping sound as it's relay turns on/off the element. I'm sure I'm hearing it arc sometimes, just like on an old light switch.

When should I start to worry tho ? I've replaced a relay on of these types of boards before, should I go ahead and replace it ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds like it may be a common symptom of not so much the relay but the PCT board to one of the relay pins, they typically start to arc and eventually burn off the foil, the tiny relay pins are a source of the problem.
You may get away without changing the relay and use copper solder wick etc to beef up the PCB and the connection.
I always do this when replacing the relay at the same time.
Investigating the board will confirm it.
Max.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
The 1 I replaced, its tiny tiny pins had melted right out of the relay case. I was amazed how flimsy the relay was. I'm in Canada, so the stove uses 240V@60Hz, IDK if the stove top only uses 110V but still, I've seen way bigger relays on TV's and stereo's

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
So you mean maybe the solder around the pin has been melting and there might be a bad connection to the PCB ? I'll have to find the breaker it's on and see if I can get into the back of it.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is typically what I have found in the past, You have to remove the controller board to inspect and find out.
Many are in the board with the timer/settings display on the console above the stove top elements.
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So you mean maybe the solder around the pin has been melting and there might be a bad connection to the PCB ?
That would seem to be a common failure mode. Temperature cycling fractures the solder joint. That increases heat generated in the joint and the cycle continues until something gives.

I have a BMW light control module that I've had to reflow the joints for the headlight relays twice. Whenever a headlight warning comes on, I check the LCM if the bulb still has continuity. Never had any traces damaged because it's lower voltage and current.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
If you have access to a portable radio, with some kind of extendable antenna, tune it to the AM band between stations and put it near the stove as the arc noise is initiated. Depending on the extent of metal shielding, the arc should generate an audible sound on the radio. Sparks and arcs generally create a wideband RF signal.

I can provide some general advice on how to fix an arcing sound coming from a stove top relay. However, it's important to note that working on appliances can be dangerous and can involve the risk of electrical shock. If you are not confident in your ability to safely troubleshoot and fix the issue, it is recommended that you call a professional appliance repair technician.

With that being said, here are some steps you can try to fix an arcing sound coming from a stove top relay:

1. Turn off the power to the stove by unplugging it or flipping the circuit breaker.
  2. Inspect the relay and look for any visible signs of damage, such as burned or melted areas.
  3. Check all of the connections to the relay and make sure they are secure.
  4. Test the continuity of the relay with a multimeter. If the relay is faulty, it will need to be replaced.
  5. If the relay appears to be in good condition, check for any damaged wiring. Look for any frayed or exposed wires and repair or replace them as needed.
  6. Once all repairs have been made, turn the power back on to the stove and test the relay to see if the arcing sound has been resolved.
If you are still experiencing issues after trying these steps, it is recommended that you call a professional appliance repair technician for further assistance.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
  1. If the relay appears to be in good condition, check for any damaged wiring. Look for any frayed or exposed wires and repair or replace them as needed.
  2. Once all repairs have been made, turn the power back on to the stove and test the relay to see if the arcing sound has been resolved.
All of the ones i have come across in the last few decades have been of the cube relay variety, soldered to the control board. ;)