Stores out of Iso.Alcohol

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Anyone having a hard time getting this now ? Around here they only sell 70% or so, and since the cold/flu, I can't find any locally, and it cost's a fortune on ebay.

I put off buying some for 2 months, before all this happened, and now it's sold out, tough luck.

schmitt trigger

Joined Jul 12, 2010
All types of common household alcohols are in short supply due to people making panic purchases.

I ignore what people are doing with so much alcohol. Perhaps they are soaking all those toilet paper rolls they acquired previously and setting them on fire. :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Back in December a local hardware store had palettes of jugs of IPA (iso-propyl alcohol - don't confuse it with India Pale Ale, that's the kind you drink) on sale for about $2 for 4 litres. That was before COVID-19. If you could only have anticipated the demand for IPA!

Also anyone doing 3D printing with resin needs lots of IPA. If only I had known that back then I would have bought the whole skid!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Come winter, they will have to burn something to keep warm after being evicted. At least outside the Sun Belt. I foresee a run on 55 gal. drums. It is what the UAW workers used when they went on strike in the cold weather in Michigan. Who will be the first to corner the market. Who can forget Nelson "Bunkie" Hunt.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Come winter, they will have to burn something to keep warm after being evicted. At least outside the Sun Belt. I foresee a run on 55 gal. drums. It is what the UAW workers used when they went on strike in the cold weather in Michigan. Who will be the first to corner the market. Who can forget Nelson "Bunkie" Hunt.
We went through quite a bit of it at work. We just ordered 55 gallon drums of the 99% stuff from a chemical supply house. I thing we also got 5 gallon jugs of the stuff. No surprise the stuff is scarce now and places that have it have upped the price. I still have some 99% laying around. I would assume they are still getting the stuff at work. Been going on 8 years since I retired. :)

I know whatever my local Rite Aid drug store gets they get on Thursdays and by Thursday afternoon most of the shelves have whatever came in Thursday morning. I am seeing plenty of it on Amazon for about $40 a gallon so actually a little over ten bucks a quart. It looks to be available at least.

Ron

Last edited: