STM32F429 with TFT LCD

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
I bought an STM32F429I and would like to learn how to programme the TFT LCD mounted on it. The few tutorials I have found on Youtube always use TouchGFX designer, but I would like to avoid those types of software by writing everything in C (low level).

Is it possible to do this?

Do you know of any sites on the web or youtube channels containing tutorials of this type?

Thanks!

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
First, pull the ST Micro's datasheet on that device, if they have one. Identify the TFT LCD and pull it's datasheet as well. Contact STMicro's support group- most mfgs are very willing to provide info, application notes, tech sheets, etc to help someone do this.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Tell us what you want to do with the STM32F429I and LCD module.
Do you want plain text, line graphics, full colour images, live video, GUI, touch screen interaction, etc?

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
Tell us what you want to do with the STM32F429I and LCD module.
Do you want plain text, line graphics, full colour images, live video, GUI, touch screen interaction, etc?
Bit by bit everything you wrote.

One of my professors told me to start with any software (like TouchGFX) but he warned me that you write everything in C most of the time at work, without using high-level software. Of course I think it depends on the type of job .. but I'd like to try it from scratch.

I would like to do a similar thing I did when, instead of using CubeMX to initialise the peripherals, I initialised them manually by creating for example void UART_Init, void SystemClockConfig etc. myself.

I will start as @BobaMosfet suggested, I was hoping there would be some tutorials done properly (like there are thousands for Arduino and the STM32F407) but I have to manage on my own (as it will be at work).:D

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok. There are two different scopes here.
Do you want to learn to program using an LCD for a specific application or do you want to learn how to program an STM32 ARM?

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
Ok. There are two different scopes here.
Do you want to learn to program using an LCD for a specific application or do you want to learn how to program an STM32 ARM?
At the moment I want to learn to program the STM32F429I, particularly the TFT LCD on it possibly without using software such as TouchGFX. But if all beginners usually start with that, then I will probably do a few programmes with it .. so that I have a clear idea.

Last edited:

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
At the moment I want to learn to program the STM32F429I, particularly the TFT LCD on it.
In your link many people suggest seeing the working example available in the CubeF4 firmware package at this location: STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.0\Projects\STM32F429I-Discovery\Applications\STemWin

..but I can't figure out where it is. Any help? Okey I just found it, I will take a look :D
Thanks.

Last edited:

andrew74

Joined Jul 25, 2022
I bought an STM32F429I and would like to learn how to programme the TFT LCD mounted on it. The few tutorials I have found on Youtube always use TouchGFX designer, but I would like to avoid those types of software by writing everything in C (low level).

Is it possible to do this?

Do you know of any sites on the web or youtube channels containing tutorials of this type?

Thanks!
UPDATE:
Online someone recommended using the examples in:
"STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.0\Projects\".
I tried to open a few examples on my STM32CubeIDE but I have this problem:

When I open STMCubeIDE and create a new project (file - new - STM32 project) .. I have the option to choose "example selector" in the top bar. I see thousands of example projects of all kinds of boards, including my F429I. The problem is that they are not supported on STM32CubeIDE, in fact when I import them I cannot debug, compile or open any function ... for example if I open BSP_LED_Init I get the error "could not find BSP_LED_Init".

Any solutions? :(

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Open STM32CubeIDE.
Select File> New> STM32 Project
In the Target Selection screen click on tab Board Selector.
Scroll down and select STM32F429I-DISC1.
Continue from there.

Here are some acronyms that you will encounter:

HAL = Hardware Abstraction Layer
BSP = Board Support Package
CMSIS = Common Microcontroller Software Interface Standard

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Microcontrollers 6