STM32F4 with external RAM memory recommendation

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
Hey. I am working with STM32F4 and I require external SRAM or DRAM memory. Currently, I am using STM32F410 chip which is only 48 pin chip. From the datasheet, it does not say anything about SRAM or DRAM except the embedded ram which is too small, therefore I assume I would have to switch my chip to something bigger. Can someone recommend me or suggest any options? If I need big RAM memory, lets say 8mb+ , I think I would need to use 16-bit data bus line, for some smaller RAM, I could use SPI right?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Are you sure that you need more RAM and not simply larger data storage?
You can have 256KB RAM in STM32F427, 1MB in STM32H7xx series.

I am using a STM32F746G-DISCO with a 16GB micro-SD card for data storage. I am never going to be able to make use of that much memory space.

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I need external RAM for faster MIDI audio processing. I think I need to implement both: external flash, and external RAM

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
From what I have discovered, even with the parallel interface, SRAM and PSRAM are quite small (upto 16MB). I am wondering whether FSMC interface could support larger DRAM ? The FSMC does not mention anything about DRAM therefore I assume not.

zazas321

Joined Nov 29, 2015
I have an external 256MB flash which stores MIDI samples. Upon selecting a track, required samples are then put into RAM for faster processing.

I have recently came across Quad-SPI. Could i possibly use Quad-SPI interface to execute the commands directly from the FLASH instead of storing into the RAM?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If I were you I would firstly sit down and do the math.
How large is one MIDI file?
How long would it take to play the entire MIDI file?
What is the processing rate required to output the file, for example, how many bytes per second?
How quickly can the MCU process these bytes?