STM32 CAN bus Silent Mode

kalemaxon89

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I should use the CAN bus simply to receive frame data (i.e. not transmit).

Can I use it in Silent mode?

I know that the main limitation of this mode is the fact that it does not transmit, so no problem for me.
Should I pay attention to anything in particular?
Can I use this mode for this type of application?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I should use the CAN bus simply to receive frame data (i.e. not transmit).

Can I use it in Silent mode?

I know that the main limitation of this mode is the fact that it does not transmit, so no problem for me.
Should I pay attention to anything in particular?
Can I use this mode for this type of application?
I know what your intention is, but doesn't the CAN specification require the use of a transceiver so your device can check incoming traffic and acknowledge the reception of a frame in the ACK slot, or throw an error active frame if appropriate? If your node cannot do that, then on a two-node network including the silent node, the node that is transmitting will send the first frame it transmits forever because there is no one to send an ACK.

There does not appear to be any advantage to doing this. It is perfectly acceptable for a node to never transmit a frame of its own, but it needs to participate in the network protocol. It has been a while since I looked at the specifications or participated in a CAN development project so maybe things have changed.

kalemaxon89

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I know what your intention is, but doesn't the CAN specification require the use of a transceiver so your device can check incoming traffic and acknowledge the reception of a frame in the ACK slot, or throw an error active frame if appropriate? If your node cannot do that, then on a two-node network including the silent node, the node that is transmitting will send the first frame it transmits forever because there is no one to send an ACK.

There does not appear to be any advantage to doing this. It is perfectly acceptable for a node to never transmit a frame of its own, but it needs to participate in the network protocol. It has been a while since I looked at the specifications or participated in a CAN development project so maybe things have changed.
Right!

I forgot to think about the ACK which allows you to see if the message has been received correctly ... a necessary condition for my application.

Thanks