Stereo circuit board partially burned

Cagui

Joined Jan 27, 2016
So what basically happened was I just suddenly smelled a burning smell in my car thought it was a wire or fuse didn't find anything then tore apart my stereo and found part of the circuit board was burned it still receives power it just won't respond/ power on when pressing the power button manually or using remote I was wondering if there is anyway to fix it with soldering? If so how and explain please and thank you:)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Unless you are already skilled at such things, it's not likely worth the effort. Getting that burnt IC replaced would be hard enough, but there is no guarantee that it didn't blow because of other failed parts you cannot see, or that it didn't take other parts down with it.

A schematic would help. but I assume you don't have one?

I don't mean to sound too discouraging. If you have soldering tools already, it will only cost you a few dollars and some time to see if replacing that IC fixes it.

Cagui

Joined Jan 27, 2016
Unless you are already skilled at such things, it's not likely worth the effort. Getting that burnt IC replaced would be hard enough, but there is no guarantee that it didn't blow because of other failed parts you cannot see, or that it didn't take other parts down with it.

A schematic would help. but I assume you don't have one?

I don't mean to sound too discouraging. If you have soldering tools already, it will only cost you a few dollars and some time to see if replacing that IC fixes it.
Where do I find the IC I need?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Finding a supplier is the least of your problems. Take for granted that you will be able to buy it, once you know what it is. Can you read the printing on it? A schematic might name it.

Cagui

Joined Jan 27, 2016
Finding a supplier is the least of your problems. Take for granted that you will be able to buy it, once you know what it is. Can you read the printing on it? A schematic might name it.
It has an M2 next to it I can't find a schematic I appreciate you helping me

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
There also appears to have been some stuff to the left of the IC that has been converted to smoke. When you find out what is missing (from the schematic), you will need to design and make a little PCB to solder the tiny new parts to and then, using some fine wires (and the schematic), graft it back into the circuit.

The big problems are that; you don't know why it burnt or what else has failed, and the damage to the PCB may be worse than you think as there may be several layers that are no longer there. You could put in many hours of work only to watch it all burn again, or perhaps something else will burn as well.

M2 means nothing without a schematic.

Sorry to sound so negative, but, if you have never done this kind of work before, the chances of success are slim to zero and it's no fun putting in all that effort for no benefit.

Cagui

Joined Jan 27, 2016
There also appears to have been some stuff to the left of the IC that has been converted to smoke. When you find out what is missing (from the schematic), you will need to design and make a little PCB to solder the tiny new parts to and then, using some fine wires (and the schematic), graft it back into the circuit.

The big problems are that; you don't know why it burnt or what else has failed, and the damage to the PCB may be worse than you think as there may be several layers that are no longer there. You could put in many hours of work only to watch it all burn again, or perhaps something else will burn as well.

M2 means nothing without a schematic.

Sorry to sound so negative, but, if you have never done this kind of work before, the chances of success are slim to zero and it's no fun putting in all that effort for no benefit.
That makes sense the reason it burned is because while it was playing it somehow grounded instead of blowing the fuse it went through the circuit board I'm guessing and caused that damage it looks pretty bad I wiped the board it still looks in decent condition nothing is missing its just no longer connected and I have always enjoyed working on projects and figuring out new things I could of just thrown it away and never learned anything new but now I did thank you

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
The FIRST thing that I would do is to get a stiff bristle brush (acid brush) and some 91% isopropyl alcohol and clean the burned area of the board. When the part smoked, it may have taken part of the board with it. Then, try to remove the part by wicking up each lead, one-by-one. Once you have successfully removed the part, you'll have to inspect the board to see if you want to proceed further.

Your part is an International Rectifier part, probably a MOSFET. A thorough cleaning may reveal more info.

Cagui

Joined Jan 27, 2016
The FIRST thing that I would do is to get a stiff bristle brush (acid brush) and some 91% isopropyl alcohol and clean the burned area of the board. When the part smoked, it may have taken part of the board with it. Then, try to remove the part by wicking up each lead, one-by-one. Once you have successfully removed the part, you'll have to inspect the board to see if you want to proceed further.

Your part is an International Rectifier part, probably a MOSFET. A thorough cleaning may reveal more info.
Will do thank you