Steel laminations in an induction motor in the stator

Heaviside

Joined May 26, 2021
May you lead an interesting Life
Sorry for being a jerk about how you answered my question. I am here to learn as much as possible from more experienced people than myself. I do appreciate the time you have freely taken out of your day to respond to me. Truly. May you lead a good and interesting life as well.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Since you put it that way ........
I must now apologize for my very polite, and yet very derogatory, old Chinese insult,
which I was reasonably sure you wouldn't understand.

You'll catch more flies with Honey instead of Vinegar.

Motors/Generators, Magnetics of all sorts, is a highly specialized field,
with new discoveries every day.
Changing the known generalities into hard rules and Math Equations is a real challenge.
Go for it !!!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hmm....interesting way to answer part of my question with an insult. Instead of simply stating that you have no idea how the motor would behave if the laminations were coated in bismuth, you call me a neophyte and say that if something was that obvious then it must have already been tried and rejected. Maybe this "neophyte" just likes to question things that other "experts" blindly accept. Yeah, ive watched the E Mag lectures on Walter Lewin already, again thanks for pointing me towards youtube. Is that automatically what everyone does on this site? Pretend like you have such an in depth understanding and when questioned on it say go to youtube, LOL.
Sorry you too what I way aw an insult. I'm afraid you misunderstood the tone and intent of what I said. being a neophyte is not a bad thing, it's just a fact. It has no negative connotations, per se. I doubt you would claim you are not a neophyte. My point was as a general rule, naive suggestions about improvements to mature technology are fruitless.

I didn't answer about Bismuth because I have no idea. I do know that if something as trivial as that would improve performance it would have been done long ago.

For the record, I am under no obligation to answer every detail of your queries and my suggestion concerning Walter Lewin was actually a sincere suggestion you would benefit from them, as I did.

You are a rude and confrontational person and I won't be interacting with you any more.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Can you specifically tell me why that might be the case? I am unaware of any real reasoning for switching the way motors were wound from toroid to the normal way they are done today.
I'll take a stab at answering that. Wound as a toroid you will have wasted wire. There is a thing called end turns where the wire goes outside the laminations and adds nothing to the magnetics that make the motor work. Wound as a toroid there would be much much more of this wire wasted as end turns. While this link is more toward BLDC motors it is the same effect in any electric motor, AC or DC.
https://things-in-motion.blogspot.com/2019/07/bldc-pmsm-end-turns-and-torque.html