Stabilizing output voltage

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I want to operate a circuit using a 3.7V battery. The circuit will contain op-amps, reference ICs and an ADC. How can I stabilize the battery voltage with maximum efficiency so that the reference ICs and ADC will not be effected?

I was considering using the MAX682 charge pump IC which will keep an output voltage of 5V for an input of 2.7V to 5.5V. I was also considering using the MAX868 inverting charge pump IC since I also need negative rail for the op-amps.

My concern is that these are not be best option for a battery operating circuit which needs to have low power consumption.

Are there any other efficient option for this problem?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
What's the current consumption of your circuit and how long do you expect the battery to run it for?

How about powering your circuit from a 3.3V LDO regulator?

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply. I am still designing the circuit, but it will consume around 4mA.
The problem with voltage regulators is that when the battery voltage drops to 3.3V (or even more), the circuit will not operate correctly.
When using the charge pump, the circuit should still operate even when the voltage drops down to 2.7V.
I never using charge pumps ICs ... are they inefficient for battery powered circuit after all?