Spray on varnish/enamel for magnet wire - any experiences?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
Does anyone have any experiences with the liquid varnishes that can be applied to bare wire? I have heard that some use heat or UV to set the varnish but IDK if that is used in the consumer available stuff.

Does anyone have any experiences with applying it? I'm looking to put it on 12 and 10g wire.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Does anyone have any experiences with the liquid varnishes that can be applied to bare wire? I have heard that some use heat or UV to set the varnish but IDK if that is used in the consumer available stuff.

Does anyone have any experiences with applying it? I'm looking to put it on 12 and 10g wire.
FWIW I've had excellent experience with silicone resin... That said, attention to the dielectric strength and thermal/chemical requirements attending the proposed application is paramount!

Best regards and good luck!:)
HP

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I'm looking to put it on 12 and 10g wire.
Why? If you're going to wire a huge electromagnet, then "no", it's not a good idea. Consumer varnishes usually dry very hard and are not flexible.

I don't know if I would mess with something that could carry the current of a 10ga wire with make-shift coatings.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
There is a guy on ebay that sell magnetic wire and the coating your are looking for industrial uses.. Sorry I remember his name and I am not at home ..,