Split-Phase Power System,issue for wiring

Arthas Ho

Joined Aug 15, 2019
Hi everybody,we have imported a jacuzzi to Canada.
The pump of tub is 230V/60Hz.The supplier provided a breaker for us,it only have 2 pole for wiring.
The engineer told me:For Split-Phase Power System,please connect L1 to N,L2 to L,don't need the neutral line.
This way can provide 220V to run the pump.

Is this safety????I am not professional in circuit.....
So anybody can HELP ME or give me some suggestions....TvT

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes this is normal, you should have a GFI wired into the 240v supply conductors, together with a earth GND conductor.
No neutral needed, if the Jacuzzi does not require it.
Max.

Arthas Ho

Joined Aug 15, 2019
Yes this is normal, you should have a GFI wired into the 240v supply conductors, together with a earth GND conductor.
No neutral needed, if the Jacuzzi does not require it.
Max.
Hi Mx,hope I haven't bother you.
One more question,could I know:in the power systems of Canada and the United States, is the neutral line for grounding? Will no current pass through it?

Arthas

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The N, neutral is the 120v current return conductor for each live conductor, L1 -L2.
It is a centre point of a 120v-0(N)-120v transformer secondary winding.
This centre point is connected to earth ground and from then on it is a fourth safety non-current carrying conductor.
IOW they are two separate conductors, in your case the neutral would not be used, only the ground conductor.
The earth ground conductor is used for safety and normally does not carry any current, only on the occurrence of a fault.
Max.

Arthas Ho

Joined Aug 15, 2019
The N, neutral is the 120v current return conductor for each live conductor, L1 -L2.
It is a centre point of a 120v-0(N)-120v transformer secondary winding.
This centre point is connected to earth ground and from then on it is a fourth safety non-current carrying conductor.
IOW they are two separate conductors, in your case the neutral would not be used, only the ground conductor.
The earth ground conductor is used for safety and normally does not carry any current, only on the occurrence of a fault.
Max.
Thank you very much,Max!
Wish you have a nice weekend!!!