spike protection using zener diode rather than RC snubber for 220vac contactor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have the option of using a SSR to switch the Solenoid, these are typically zero crossing voltage switch-on. complete with suppression.
It would be controlled direct from the PLC and no intermediate relay.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
This also another good option
Do you have the option of using a SSR to switch the Solenoid, these are typically zero crossing voltage switch-on. complete with suppression.
This also another good option. I will search for the availablity of SSR for inductive load.

Tinsae

Joined Jan 8, 2015
As you already learned, the peak voltage of the nom. 220/230/240 V is way higher than the nominal value. Basically you can combine zener diodes in series, but allowable power dissipation might be smaller than what you'd like to have. (This is what TVS diodes are made for: worse "zener behavior", but way higher power dissipation.)
3 x 230 V zeners in series plus another 3 x 120 V zeners reversed might do the trick.

Just had to find out that most of the African continent is not covered by distribution. If you have some power rating specification, you may start a private communication to see what I might be able to do for you.
Can I put my email?