Spammers

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We moderators have been staying on top of it, but right now we are being swamped with spam. I suspect they are testing, many of them are obviously bots with nonsense messages (formats are consistent over and over).

There are a lot of conversations in the background in the moderator forum working various issues, and thanks to Jrap and Bertus things are coming along.

I'm staying logged in even when I'm not here to see if it can discourage some of the spammers, it doesn't seem to impress them much. So just keep reporting the threads as they pop up, and like the gopher game at Chuckie Cheese we keep nailing them.

I may go back to invisible mode like I used to on the other software, so they would try it while a moderator is watching. It is hard to say which is more effective, but it does feel good nailing them while they are in the act.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Or can you even tell?
I would suspect those involved in such activities spoof their IP address to prevent someone from blocking their true address.

It would be a shame if one had to block out a whole block of IP addresses ...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hmmm..bots. I bet those are the "members" that post one sentence copied from a nearby post, though it has nothing to do with the subject.
No need to reply. I'm just musing. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Click on that, "Report" box in the lower left corner of the typing box. Then type in something cryptic like, "spam" or, "automotive".

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
You could ask some senior members to moderate the forums.Just split them in categories like one moderating off topic,one general,etc..

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No, we don't need more moderators at this time. Instead use the system we already have in place, report them as you see them. It has been working well, and is still working.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
There already is a good team of moderators. The owners will add to and subtract from the team as necessary, and for any number of reasons. I agree that the membership should report threads to the moderating team for action, this way, there is better consistency in the decisions then if we had too many moderators spoiling the forum, akin to too many cooks spoiling the broth.

This system has worked for a long time here. More is not necessarily better with moderating teams.

You could have coverage in every area for every minute of every day and still, things would need to be reported. Forums can not be sanitized 24/7/365 or 366 and remain open to the public.

Report when you see something you think violates the terms of service or user agreement. I have full faith in the moderating team and I speak from being a member.

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
Click on that, "Report" box in the lower left corner of the typing box. Then type in something cryptic like, "spam" or, "automotive".
hokay, though my preference goes to 'nut missing bolt' , 'unattached neuron on the loose' or 'another wall looking for a brick'

/me though it was for reporting the poster and not the thread. though both normally go hand in hand. tankings for clarifications :)

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
On the same day that this website was attacked by Chinese hackers, the RC Groups website suffered a similar massive coordinated cyber attack originating from China. The coincidence of two high-tech websites being targeted by Chinese hackers on the same day makes one wonder what exactly is afoot over there in China.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Reporting the misbehaviours on the forum, helps us to keep the forum a friendly one.
The misbehaviours can be: spamming, abuse, violating copyrights and violating the ToS.

We have moderators in two timezones.
Bill_Marsden, Mr.Chips, jrap and hgmjr are in America and Canada.
thingmaker3 is still on the moderatorslist, but moved to rural area, so he has no internet at the moment.
Georacer and I are in Europe.

Bertus

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On the same day that this website was attacked by Chinese hackers, the RC Groups website suffered a similar massive coordinated cyber attack originating from China. The coincidence of two high-tech websites being targeted by Chinese hackers on the same day makes one wonder what exactly is afoot over there in China.
Drones and bots doing the bidding of the Chinese government. Looking for anything profitable that they can steal. Forewarned is forearmed.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect we are just for practice. If they find a vulnerability here it probably works somewhere more interesting.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrChips Off-Topic 3
Wendy Off-Topic 23
Wendy Feedback and Suggestions 25