Spammers! Again!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Recently we've had several spammers that if they had approached the thread differently would have gotten by with it. This thread is an example.

We had another that dealt with PCB boards and (I think) a school or a teaching package on how to make them.

I always flag spammers, and don't respond to their thread. It is very bad form to do so, and gives them unwanted feedback that they are succeeding. The little yellow triangle is good enough for this.

The reason I mentioned it though, is the last two seemed to be of a different breed. They weren't meant for general consumption, but targeted for this site specifically, which I find odd.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
We refer to them as "stealth spammers". It is a challenge sometimes to decide if a slightly bizarre post is legit or spam. It certainly keeps us busy.

Many thanks to the contributing members who send us alerts to spammers.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Bill,

I also report them.
It is like a "hidden" message.
You have to see through this.

Also some new users make use of spamming through the signature.
They give "strange" answers to the threads to spread the spam.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, this thread also falls under that category. I loved the mods comment on it. I also thought the tag line by the poster was disingenuous.

Like I said, I think I see a trend here. Wonder if it is a coincidence or something more organized.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
There was one spammer who recently (over the last 10 days) racked up 28 posts before I figured out what was going on; I actually had to quote the reply to see the code they were using to hide the URL.

What possible benefit they might derive by posting an invisible link is beyond me...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Bill,

I think they can block both, the name AND the IP-address.
When you look at the name they have used is says "banned" (if the spammer is still online).

Greetings,
Bertus

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Out of curiosity..
What I do is just post and reply to threads..u know the same old, same old.

what I donno is SPAMMING. What it is?
why? or who ever does that, i mean like, does the culprit benefit anything from doing it or does he gain money or what..why.....why..... do...they do :confused:these things.
What is it in for them? :confused:

______
Rifaa

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Ya!! I get like hell of lot of spams emails. and to make things worse the email does not make any sense.
What I donno is how are they generating money from advertising.
Are they selling ppls emails
_________
Rifaa

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Does AAC block the name, or the IP address, I wonder?
We can block both.

Ya!! I get like hell of lot of spams emails. and to make things worse the email does not make any sense.
What I donno is how are they generating money from advertising.
Are they selling ppls emails

If you are receiving spam via e-mail or the PM system I would be interested in hearing about it. Whilst the forums are open and as such we can monitor and manage it, the e-mail and PM system is closed. If it is being abused, we would like to know about it.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I see we were hit hard again last night. Someone named Nikki still shows up as a trace on the Forum Index, but when you look at the thread they are long gone. They were trying their stealth spam techniques again.

Glad we have good mods. These cats do seem to pay attention when our mods sleep. It can be fustrating watching them splatter all over the board and not be able to do anything but the yellow triangle. I also love the message "you must wait 60 seconds before posting again" when they come in packs.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Bill,

I also have reported some of those spammers.
They seem to have some wierd answers to add thier spam.
Fortunately the signature edit is disabled for new members,
making the spamming a little bit harder.

I think the mods and admins do a great job to keep the forum clean.
Using the report button will attend them there is someting going on.

Greetings,
Bertus

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Bertus,

I know I speak for my fellow mod'ers in expressing our sincere appreciation for the diligence exhibited by you, Bill, and other members in reporting questionable posts by sending alerts through the Post Reporting System. It is dedicated members such as yourselves that form the "tip of the spear" in the battle against spam.

Keep 'um coming,
hgmjr

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
I rarely ever get spam in my email inbox, but occasionally it happens. Once I just delete them I usually never get them again unless the spammers are really inexorable. Most people get spam if they visit bad websites full of terrible content.

A software known as the "Top" spyware doctor can be downloaded at PC Tools.com. I haven't had any virus or threat it couldn't get rid of so far.

SkeeterB

Joined Oct 30, 2009
Spammer are annoying as hell. Just wasting your time and energy deleting the posts and trying to sort through the unwanted emails that come into your email box.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Maybe we should have a vocabulary filter that won't let the spammers post their thread unless the topic pertains to electronics. It won't prevent spam completely, but It would mitigate it. I know we already have a filter for simple posting but do we have one for the actual box they type their topic in? I've noticed a lot of spammers who have their topic titled to what their spam is about.

Austin

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

To report spammers it is basicaly needed to report one per user name.
Using the profile of that user the mods will find all his posts.
Do not reply to any spammer, this will make removal more difficult.

Greetings,
Bertus

Last edited: