Sopa won

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I agree as well. If the movie industry wants to "get smart", they will release movies straight to internet streaming payperview. People don't want to spend 50$ in a movie theater on a movie release date; they want to sit in their homes and watch it. Give the people what they want, or they are going to get it from somewhere else.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I still go to the movies ... Studio Movie Grill ... and enjoy the 3d movies with my grandson. I take the wife whenever we find something good to go see.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I still go to the movies ... Studio Movie Grill ... and enjoy the 3d movies with my grandson. I take the wife whenever we find something good to go see.

A certain part of the population still will.

However, when you can get a broadband connection for $79/month, and a computer with a 27" display and 5.1 surround sound for $1200, which you can do much more than watch movies on, people will stay home.

Netflix has proven this. If Netflix were allowed to release blockbuster movies on opening weekends, the theaters would be half empty, as many would gladly pay $30 to sit at home and watch it on their Xbox or PS3 with a home audio setup. Movies would gross more on opening weekends. There are still movies that barely break 1980 box office records, even though tickets cost 4 times as much. That is a telling sign alone.

It used to be theaters were the only place you could experience "Theater Sound", with shaking bass, multiple channel audio, etc. Now you can get that in a box for $200, and don't have to deal with lines to get in, people around kicking your seat and talking, etc.

Theaters are going the way of the Drive Ins, which I always thought were AWESOME, even though the audio was from a tinny little box you stuck on a window, they were bigger than life, and could make a comeback if they broadcast the sound to modern car audio systems.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
That's why a lot of Indy producers are releasing digital only and not giving half to their "label".

Kinda like what Joan Jett did in the late 70's when EMI wouldn't sign her after she left The Runaways, she started Blackheart Record Labels, and has been publishing Indy bands since.

The MPAA/RIAA don't "get" the new way things are done. They still want people to go to movie theaters and buy overpriced popcorn. RIAA wants everybdoy to buy a CD instead of download the one good song from Amazon or iTunes.

They are trying not to become extinct because they've lost billions of dollars since broadband internet came out. Not by piracy or theft, just the fact that bands and amateur movie makers had a way to get their work out in pubilc without paying the big guys for the privilege.

It's not about copyrights, it's about control.
and you know that the large corps aren't just interested in controlling royalties, but beating down the indepentants. Jobs shook thier foundations, but they ain't anywhere near finished yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Off-Topic 0
magnet18 Off-Topic 44