[Solved] Resistor in constant current circuit

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Meanwell makes great/safe products from my experience..
Now that could be a knock off.. I always buy my meanwell drivers from reputable suppliers and they have worked flawlessly for years for me..

But in general Meanwell is a fantastic driver and company to use and is not your typical run of the mill Chinese drivers that have been show to catch fire,etc....

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
My first encounter with Mean Well power supplies was to diagnose a designed-in failure mechanism that became manifest in part due to somewhat sloppy manufacturing. I don't remember the exact details but it was a bit of circuitry intended to prevent failure and it was actually causing failure. They were a bit surprised someone who had been called in to look at a problem for a big giant LED video display at the end of a football stadium would be doing that. I said at the time "They mean well, but lack in follow-through."

I do find the lack of safety agency markings concerning. 78 volts is not exactly finger-tip friendly.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
My first encounter with Mean Well power supplies was to diagnose a designed-in failure mechanism that became manifest in part due to somewhat sloppy manufacturing. I don't remember the exact details but it was a bit of circuitry intended to prevent failure and it was actually causing failure. They were a bit surprised someone who had been called in to look at a problem for a big giant LED video display at the end of a football stadium would be doing that. I said at the time "They mean well, but lack in follow-through."

I do find the lack of safety agency markings concerning. 78 volts is not exactly finger-tip friendly.
err...wait.. Just noticed that 78v part..
I'm going with total fake product..
I don't see an LPC-60-700 on meanwells site nor anywhere on the internet except for a few shady spots and it should be limited to 48VDC (well 60v max) max to fall into the SELV classification..

Madelaire

Joined Mar 1, 2018
err...wait.. Just noticed that 78v part..
I'm going with total fake product..
I don't see an LPC-60-700 on meanwells site nor anywhere on the internet except for a few shady spots and it should be limited to 48VDC (well 60v max) max to fall into the SELV classification..
Damn, I did find it suspicious, that I couldn't find the data sheet on Mean Well website, yesterday. I guess I should find a less "shady" place to buy i next time.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Your power supply may be perfectly OK and made by Mean Well. It may be a supply that Mean Well manufactured a quantity of but then it never actually made it to market for some reason. It might be that 700 mA LEDs just aren't popular enough. LEDs for lighting have changed a lot in a few years and last year's must-have model may just be too déclassé for this year's in crowd. If it was intended for the North American market it probably would not have been able to get CSA and/or UL and/or ETL approval because of the high output voltage. I think EU limits for voltage for this sort of thing are even lower.

Madelaire

Joined Mar 1, 2018
Your power supply may be perfectly OK and made by Mean Well. It may be a supply that Mean Well manufactured a quantity of but then it never actually made it to market for some reason. It might be that 700 mA LEDs just aren't popular enough. LEDs for lighting have changed a lot in a few years and last year's must-have model may just be too déclassé for this year's in crowd. If it was intended for the North American market it probably would not have been able to get CSA and/or UL and/or ETL approval because of the high output voltage. I think EU limits for voltage for this sort of thing are even lower.
Yes, that is possible.
I am really happy with all the help I have gotten. and I think I have all the information to proceed with my project.
Last question: Is there a way to mark this thread as "done"?