What voltage will be used?
Is the voltage AC or DC?
What is the current to be switched?
Is there a changeover contact needed?

Bertus

mattd860

Joined Jan 9, 2016
Hello,

What do you want to switch? ~ Another Relay (i.e. grounding the coil of another relay)
What voltage will be used? ~ 5v
Is the voltage AC or DC? ~ DC
What is the current to be switched? ~ Unknown at this time.
Is there a changeover contact needed? ~ No

Bertus

Answers above. Thanks!

mattd860

Joined Jan 9, 2016
Sorry I definitely wasn't clear in my first post. I thought the picture in the link was better. The relay needs to be a 5v dc input with a 0-30v dc output.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
So you want to use 5VDC to switch a 30V-coil relay to ground? Why not just a logic-level an N-MOSFET? Or do you need isolation between the 5V and the relay circuit?

Ken

mattd860

Joined Jan 9, 2016
So you want to use 5VDC to switch a 30V-coil relay to ground? Why not just a logic-level an N-MOSFET? Or do you need isolation between the 5V and the relay circuit?

Ken

that is basically what I'm doing now with the relay shown in my first post. I would like to eliminate the relay and I like your idea of using the mosfet instead. I could theoretically just use a small capacitor but I'm able to use a protecting diode by the 2nd relay. The 2nd relay coil receives 12-14 volts and I wanted to ground the coil with an output from my Arduino board - but again I cannot use the diode. This is why I'm using the 1st relay (seen in the amazon link above) in between the 2nd relay and the Arduino because I'm able to access that circuit to modify it.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I'm not understanding how you intend (theoretically) use a capacitor to switch the 2nd relay with an Arduino output. Maybe you could post a sketch?

Ken

mattd860

Joined Jan 9, 2016
00Akl.png

The common on this relay goes to ground. The NO pin will go to the ground pin on the 2nd relay which will ground the coil.

I want to replace the relay in the picture above with something quieter.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
You said the 2nd relay has a 12 V DC coil. What is the manufacturer / model number / coil resistance / coil power of the *second* relay. This will determine the correct MOSFET to replace the first relay. Also, is it possible to replace that relay with a solid state relay to eliminate its clock? What is the power being switched by the second relay (open circuit voltage and load current)?

ak